Janelle Monae, M.I.A. Perform Bi-Coastal Duet With Mutual Holograms
M.I.A. took the stage in New York while Monae sang on the West Coast in a high-tech performance sponsored by Audi to launch its A3 model.
Singers M.I.A. and Janelle Monae shared the stage during separate concerts on opposite coasts through the magic of holograms.
M.I.A. performed in New York with a 3-D projection of Monae Thursday night while Monae sang on the West Coast with M.I.A.'s likeness.
Both artists have ideas for how they might use performance holograms beyond their bi-coastal duet, which was sponsored by Audi to launch its A3 model.
The high-tech duet required more advanced 3-D projection and video mapping technology than Tupac Shakur's hologram debut at the annual Coachella music festival in 2012. M.I.A. and Monae performed together in person to help create the holograms, but each saw the results for the first time onstage.
"I wish I were in the audience because I'm sure it looked cooler from the audience, but it felt great," Monae said after closing her 40-minute set at Quixote Studios by singing with a hologram. "I felt M.I.A.'s spirit up there."
A life-size hologram of the British rapper joined Monae onstage with an original addition to her song "Q.U.E.E.N." Wearing a spangled top and pants reminiscent of C-3PO, M.I.A. appeared to dance and sing, her image at times bathed in colored lights. Monae's hologram sang a verse of M.I.A.'s "Bad Girls" with her at New York's SIR Stage 37.
Neither artist got to see what their own hologram looked like ("I'm going to go online and see if I could see it," Monae confessed), but both said they'd try the technology again.
"I think if you can have artists be a hologram and you can access it, and you have them life-size, in your house, it could be kind of cool," M.I.A. said by phone. "It's definitely cool for us and it's cool for me. I could be in 10 places at once."
The technology has been prohibitively expensive and cumbersome to use on tour, she said: "I hope they get it together to the point that it's accessible."
If so, Monae has some ideas about how to apply it. "I'd be honored to experiment more with holograms and maybe make a whole band — but I love my band, I wouldn't want them to be holograms," she said. "I would do some experimenting with different versions of myself, playing different instruments."
Not that either artist has the time to go hologram crazy. Both are touring in support of albums released last fall: M.I.A.'s "Matangi" and Monae's "Electric Lady." Monae also contributes the theme song to the upcoming animated film Rio 2, and covered David Bowie's "Heroes" for a Pepsi global ad campaign. M.I.A. is busy with her fashion collection for Versace and her ongoing snarl with the National Football League, which is seeking $16 million from the singer on claims that she ruined the league's reputation when she stuck out her middle finger during a halftime performance with Madonna two years ago.
M.I.A. has been vocal about the NFL issue on Twitter but when this reporter asked where things stand, a publicist interjected, saying, "That is one topic we cannot cover during this interview, unfortunately." Maybe her hologram would like to answer?
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- 'Wish I Was Here' Star Ashley Greene Wants You to Check Out These 5 TV Shows & Movies
- Best of Late Night TV: "Guardians of the Galaxy" Cast Takes Over Kimmel, Kate Hudson Plays Box of Lies (VIDEO)
- This 'You've Got To Be Kidding Me' Supercut Is One For The Ages
- Katie Holmes Behind the Camera in 'In Short'
- Charlie Hunnam Speaks Up About 'Sons of Anarchy' Emmy Snubs at FX TCA Panel
- Daniel Radcliffe Premieres 'What If' in Toronto After Closing Out Broadway's 'Cripple of Inishmaan'
- Selena Gomez & Cara Delevingne are Saint-Tropez Bikini Babes!
- LeAnn Rimes & Eddie Cibrian Missed His Kids So Much During Reality Show Promo Trip