Jay-Z Debuts Rocawear Ad 'From Marcy to Barclays' (Video)
After going from being a businessman to a "business, man," the iconic rapper appears in a new 30-second spot for his clothing label.
The Rocawear clothing label may be dealing with 99 (or more) problems in the wake of its $500 million dip in global sales at the end of last year, but an uninvolved CEO isn’t one of them. On his website Life and Times, Jay-Z premiered a 30-second TV spot Monday in which he celebrates the label and highlights its growth as a major part of his entertainment empire.
Named “From Marcy to Barclays,” the clip features a montage of images of Jay-Z set to the music of one of his early hits, a song from his album Reasonable Doubt appropriately titled “Coming of Age.” Although the label has been around for more than 15 years, the commercial is the company’s first, and Jay’s voiceover suggests that its success, like his own, has been a process of evolution and growth.
“My goal was to have one gold album and that was it,” he says in the spot. “And then it became, I want to show that an artist can ascend to the executive ranks. Rocawear just keeps reinventing itself and redefining itself every single day.”
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot In Music
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)
- Chris Hemsworth Says 'Age of Ultron' Is 'Bigger' & 'Crazier' Than the First 'Avengers'
- Kristen Bell on Her 'Veronica Mars' Homecoming, Tasering the Paparazzi, and Being the Next Bill Shatner
- The New 'Orphan Black' Season 2 Trailer Will Make Your Monday So Much Better (VIDEO)
- 'Fantastic Four' Reboot: Did Miles Teller Reveal a Revamp of the Origin Story?