Jay Z Slams Zimmerman Verdict: 'Didn't Trayvon Have the Right to Stand his Ground?'
"You can have a fight with someone, and if they're running away, you can shoot them and kill them and you're fine? Come on," the hip-hop superstar says.
Jay Z has already made his feelings known about George Zimmerman's not guilty verdict in the Trayvon Martin murder case, attending a rally to protest the verdict in New York and dedicating a performance of "Forever Young" to the slain teen.
But he further criticized the controversial decision in a recent interview with hip-hop journalist Elliott Wilson.
Jay Z says when he found out about the verdict, he was "really angry" and didn't sleep for two days.
"If you ask the questions, ask yourself the questions, 'Didn't Trayvon have the right to stand his ground?,'" he explains. "He was being chased. He fought back. He may have won. That doesn't mean he's a criminal. He won. If you chase me and you try to attack me and I defend myself, how can I be in the wrong? How is that right?"
"This guy went to get Skittles and go back and watch the All-Star game. He had plans," the rapper added. "He had no intentions of robbing anyone's homes."
Jay Z also criticized Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law, saying, "That 'Stand Your Ground' law: You can have a fight with someone, and if they're running away, you can shoot them and kill them and you're fine? Come on."
But, the hip-hop superstar remains hopeful that young people don't view race the same way previous generations did.
"This generation right now, they don't see color in that way, we're a bit removed from those racist feelings," he said.
Jay Z also talked about the recent NFL Players Association investigation into whether he was involved in recruiting Jets rookie quarterback Geno Smith, suggesting he didn't take it seriously.
"With all due respect, [the NFL's] investigating me? What are you going to do to me? You're not going to let me represent players? OK," he said.
He also explained that he wanted to be an agent to help athletes better manage their money.
You can watch all of part two of Jay-Z's interview with Wilson below:
HOLLYWOOD'S RED CARPET A-LIST
What's Hot In Music
- 11 TV Drama Mistakes That Even Jack Bauer Couldn't Fix
- Best of Late Night TV: Blake Shelton & Gwen Stefani Lip Sync, Len Goodman Spills 'DWTS' Secrets (VIDEO)
- Michael Kors's Best 'Project Runway' Critiques (VIDEO)
- What's On TV Tonight: 'Red Band Society' and 'The Mysteries of Laura' Series Premieres, 'Franklin & Bash,' and More Picks
- Will Ferrell Reprising Role of Mugatu in 'Zoolander 2'!
- Kristen Bell's Husband Dax Shepard Got a Bell Tattoo on His Ring Finger in Honor of His Wife!
- French Actor Gerard Depardieu Says He Sometimes Drinks 14 Bottles of Wine a Day
- Reese Witherspoon Goes Floral for 'The Good Lie' Premiere in Washington, DC!