Jay-Z Performs at YouTube Upfronts (Video)
The website recruited the rapper to close with one of his greatest hits at Wednesday's "Brandcast" presentation.
When YouTube unveiled its slate of new channels to advertisers in New York City on Tuesday night, the Google-owned company enlisted none other than Jay-Z to close the event with a song we've all heard before but was oh-so-appropriate: that's right, "Empire State of Mind."
The buzzy hot ticket, held at the Beacon Theater on the Upper West Side, also had performances by Flo Rida, Pharrell Williams and the Neon Trees. Over the course of two weeks, at the "digital upfronts," YouTube and other online giants are pitching original programs to the ad industry, TV-style. For its part, YouTube --- dubbing its presentation "Brandcast" -- announced it would pour $200 million into promoting the launch of such channels as "WIGS," which is geared toward women and will feature series starring Julia Stiles and Jennifer Garner, among other big names.
What, no Jay-Z?
Behold video of the rapper attempting to rally the crowd, via All Things D:
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- Dakota Johnson Compares 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Sex Scenes to Acrobatics!
- Eva Longoria: The Way Child Refugee Crisis Is Being Handled is Un-American
- Brit Marling's First Movie She Remembers Seeing is 'Princess Bride'
- 24's Kiefer Sutherland & Last Ship's Eric Dane Present Their Shows at Comic-Con 2014!