Jay-Z Performs at YouTube Upfronts (Video)
The website recruited the rapper to close with one of his greatest hits at Wednesday's "Brandcast" presentation.
When YouTube unveiled its slate of new channels to advertisers in New York City on Tuesday night, the Google-owned company enlisted none other than Jay-Z to close the event with a song we've all heard before but was oh-so-appropriate: that's right, "Empire State of Mind."
The buzzy hot ticket, held at the Beacon Theater on the Upper West Side, also had performances by Flo Rida, Pharrell Williams and the Neon Trees. Over the course of two weeks, at the "digital upfronts," YouTube and other online giants are pitching original programs to the ad industry, TV-style. For its part, YouTube --- dubbing its presentation "Brandcast" -- announced it would pour $200 million into promoting the launch of such channels as "WIGS," which is geared toward women and will feature series starring Julia Stiles and Jennifer Garner, among other big names.
What, no Jay-Z?
Behold video of the rapper attempting to rally the crowd, via All Things D:
2014 Emmy Awards
What's Hot In Music
- Failure, Alarms & After Parties: Chats with The Posies, Dry the River's Peter Liddle and Ghost Town's Kevin McCullough
- This Rapper Just Won The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge With Marijuana
- Emily Browning: If I Had Gotten That 'Twilight' Role, 'I Would Have Quit' Acting
- This Map Plots Where Your Favorite College Movies Were Filmed
- Sophia Bush Sends Congrats to Pal Aaron Paul For Emmy Win!
- Miles Teller on One-Night Stands: Don't Let Them Borrow Clothes Because 'You Will Not Get That Sh-t Back'
- Jennifer Aniston & Sandra Bullock Mock Chelsea Handler on 'Chelsea Lately' Finale
- Gerard Butler, Vanessa Hudgens, & Selena Gomez Sing Farewell to Chelsea Handler on 'Chelsea Lately'