Jay-Z's New Diss Track Rips Into Critics of His Cuba Trip, Flaunts Big Brooklyn Nets Cash (Audio)
The rapper-entrepreneur-cultural exchange pioneer hit out against members of Congress unhappy with his and wife Beyonce's trip to the island nation, and called some New Yorkers "dweebs."
Some celebrities issue rigid press releases; others tweet when they have a bone to pick. Jay-Z, untouchable mogul of all things worthwhile in modern America, drops highly produced, venom-filled, boast-bloated diss tracks to answer his critics.
With several Florida Republicans on his back about the trip he took to Cuba with Beyonce to celebrate their fifth anniversary, Jay's "Open Letter" serves as a hybrid defense and "I don't really care what you think" response.
"They wanna give me jail time and a fine -- Fine, let me commit a real crime," he appeals, a not-so-veiled reference to Sen. Marco Rubio and Reps. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen and Mario Diaz-Balart's less-than-pleased letters about the trip. "Obama said, 'Chill you're going to get me impeached,'" he paraphrases, "You don't need this shit anyway, chill with me on the beach."
For the government's part, the Treasury Department wrote earlier this week that the trip was fully authorized as an educational and cultural exchange.
As for his recent dealings with the Nets -- the basketball team he bought, partially sold and then helped move into a new arena in Brooklyn that he partially owns -- he was just as defiant. Reports say that he will be selling his remaining shares in the team so that he can officially go into the basketball player agent business, and Jay doesn't seem to be denying it.
"I woulda moved the Nets to Brooklyn for free. Except I made millions off you f--king dweebs. I still own the building, I'm still keeping my seats. You buy that bullshit, you better keep your receipts."
What's Hot In Music
- (VIDEO) Multi-Channel Network Collective Digital Studio Launches New Content for Purina
- Watch #AOLBUILD Live Stream Featuring Aubrey Plaza, Dane Dehaan and @LifeAftrBeth Director Jeff Baena
- Alex Trebek Overpronouncing Foreign Words: A Supercut
- The Bachelorette: What Happens in the Fantasy Suite Stays in the Fantasy Suite?
- Billy Bob Thornton Wants To Guest Star on 'Big Bang Theory' and 'Game of Thrones' and We Hope His Dreams Come True
- Rian Johnson Is Already Revealing Details About 'Star Wars: Episode VIII'
- 'Every Single Thing' In the 'The Walking Dead' Season Five Premiere Is a Spoiler
- Quentin Tarantino May Finally Release 'Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair'