Justin Bieber's 'Boyfriend' Video Shatters YouTube Record For Single-Day Views
The clip, featuring the singer gazing smolderingly into the camera surrounded by muscle cars and scantily clad women, racked up 8 million hits in just 24 hours.
The music video for "Boyfriend," the new single from Justin Bieber's forthcoming album, has set a new record on YouTube, logging over 8 million views within 24 hours of being made available for streaming to Bieber's fans, who refer to themselves as "Beliebers."
That number was fueled by a campaign mounted by the Canadian heartthrob's Twitter followers -- now numbering well over 21 million, second only to Lady Gaga -- to make "Boyfriend" the most popular offering ever posted to the video-sharing site.
The video, which features the singer gazing smolderingly into the camera surrounded by muscle cars and scantily clad women, has drawn comparisons to the video for "Girlfriend," a 2002 hit for NSYNC, the boy band that launched Justin Timberlake's career.
As of Saturday, "Boyfriend" had logged 9.2 million hits.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- Rita Ora and Calvin Harris: Working Together After a Breakup?
- From College To The Bright Lights Of Broadway: Meet 'Rock Of Ages' Leading Lady, Carrie St. Louis
- Blake Lively Pulls A Beyonce By Revealing Wedding Dress In Preserve Video
- Kristen Bell's Mary Poppins Takes On Minimum Wage With A Spoonful Of Sugar
- Best of Late Night TV: Dwayne Johnson's Fainting Spell and Morgan Freeman's Helium Balloon Voice (VIDEO)
- The 10 Most Important 'Interstellar' Mysteries Revealed at Comic-Con 2014
- 'Hot Tub Time Machine 2' Trailer: Back To the Hilariously Outrageous Future (VIDEO)
- There's Still Hope For an 'X-Files' Reboot