Kanye West Bashes Nike, Confirms Adidas Deal (Video)
The rapper switched shoe companies because his new deal gives him "royalties and I have to provide for my family," he said on a New York radio station.
Kanye West has long had a partnership with Nike, but all that's changing thanks to a new deal with Adidas.
The rapper confirmed his partnership with the German sports clothing and accessories giant in an interview with New York's Hot 97 on Monday.
"I took the Adidas deal because I have royalties and I have to provide for my family," West said in the interview, recalling comments he made at his Madison Square Garden show on Sunday night, during which he lambasted Nike for not being a good business partner -- confirming on the show that he doesn't receive royalties from the company because he's "not a professional athlete."
"I'm gonna be the first hip-hop designer, and because of that, I'm gonna be bigger than Walmart," he continued.
As the partnership is young, there's no set release date just yet on West's Red Octobers shoe line.
This story first appeared on billboard.com.
Watch West rant against Nike and reveal details of his Adidas deal in the video below.
What's Hot In Music
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 5 Ep. 12 Recap: 'Remember' Welcomes Team Rick To The Neighborhood
- Kendall Jenner's Throwback Bikini Photo Reminds Us The Winter Struggle Is Real
- Hollywood's Diversity Problem Starts At The Top, UCLA Report Finds
- Michael Jordan Fails Yet Again To Win 'Richest Person In The World' Title
- The Best Scene in House of Cards Happens in a Women’s Bathroom
- Veronica Roth’s Divergent Follow-up Will Be Star Wars–esque
- Ryan Murphy Gives Touching Speech, Reflects on Glee’s Legacy of Creating Acceptance Through Understanding
- Bob’s Burgers Did Its Own Game of Thrones Last Night, and You Should Be Thankful
- Cody Simpson to Co-Host Victoria's Secret PINK's Spring Break Bash with Gigi Hadid & Rachel Hilbert! (Exclusive)
- Patrick Schwarzenegger Braves Torrential Rain for Lunch with Miley Cyrus!
- Lily James & Cate Blanchett Look Picture Perfect at 'Cinderella' Premiere
- Mumford & Sons Announce New Album 'Wilder Mind' With a Brand New Sound!