Kanye West Bashes Nike, Confirms Adidas Deal (Video)
The rapper switched shoe companies because his new deal gives him "royalties and I have to provide for my family," he said on a New York radio station.
Kanye West has long had a partnership with Nike, but all that's changing thanks to a new deal with Adidas.
The rapper confirmed his partnership with the German sports clothing and accessories giant in an interview with New York's Hot 97 on Monday.
"I took the Adidas deal because I have royalties and I have to provide for my family," West said in the interview, recalling comments he made at his Madison Square Garden show on Sunday night, during which he lambasted Nike for not being a good business partner -- confirming on the show that he doesn't receive royalties from the company because he's "not a professional athlete."
"I'm gonna be the first hip-hop designer, and because of that, I'm gonna be bigger than Walmart," he continued.
As the partnership is young, there's no set release date just yet on West's Red Octobers shoe line.
This story first appeared on billboard.com.
Watch West rant against Nike and reveal details of his Adidas deal in the video below.
Health & Hollywood
THR @ TORONTO
What's Hot In Music
- Music Turns Me on: A Conversation With the Hot Band Dopapod
- Ira Sachs' New Film "Love is Strange" Screens at the Deauville American Film Festival: Alfred Molina and John Lithgow as a Married Couple in Love
- 'Dancing With The Stars' Contestant Alfonso Ribeiro Proves Carlton Still Got It
- 16 'New Girl' Facts That'll Make You Love It Even More
- Lupita Nyong'o Visits 'Sesame Street' and It's All Kinds of Adorable (VIDEO)
- What Every '90s Kid Needs to See in the 'I Know What You Did Last Summer' Reboot
- What's On TV Tonight: 'The Mindy Project' and 'New Girl' Season Premieres, 'Sons of Anarchy,' and More Picks
- 'Sons of Anarchy's' Kim Coates Says the Final Season Is 'Full Out, Full Throttle, Wiping Everybody Out'