Kanye West Says He Fears 'Losing Relevancy' in Music for Fashion (Video)
The rapper, who has expressed his frustrations with the style world, flips out during an interview with radio host Sway Calloway.
If you thought Kanye West was done venting about the fashion world, think again.
In an interview Tuesday with MTV News' Sway Calloway on the SiriusXM station Shade 45, the rapper flipped out over the host's question about breaking into the fashion world.
When Calloway asked the rapper about his Nike Red October shoes, the question caused West to go on a rant about the company, which he recently left to pursue a deal with Adidas. Calloway then suggested that West empower himself and produce his products and ideas on his own. West repeatedly screamed, "How, Sway? You ain't got the answers, man!"
After asking West to calm down multiple times and sharing how he once lost money attempting to sell his own clothing line, West shouted, "It ain't Ralph though. What's the name of your clothing line? Nobody knows!" The heated exchange continued with West explaining how he doesn't want to release his own clothing line because he doesn't have the money. The pair eventually apologized to each other, and West continued -- slightly more calmly -- about how he still felt marginalized by companies like Nike, despite his success as a musical artist.
"The thing that compresses me is time versus money," explained West. "Integrity, money and relevance. Because as I work on clothing more, I'm not rapping as much … I'm not rapping as much, I'm not having as much finances. I'm losing relevancy. The relevancy is part of my power that allows my brand to be big. That's what I'm saying: You juggle so crazy, and then you get a Nike that can simply say, 'The [Air] Yeezys did good, that was a good job. Let me get you some more so you can start your own line because obviously people linin' up for it.' But they'll marginalize you and play you and talk about, 'We don't even know when the Red Octobers are coming out.' "
Watch the complete interview below.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- In the Outlandishly Entertaining Lucy, Scarlett Johansson Becomes One With the Action-Movie Universe
- Now That You've Seen Snowpiercer, Which Other Movies Should You Watch From Director Bong Joon-ho?
- Hannibal Producers on Clarice Starling’s Arrival and Who Survived the Massacre
- Morgan Freeman Tries Helium Again for Jimmy Fallon
- Best of Late Night TV: Dwayne Johnson's Fainting Spell and Morgan Freeman's Helium Balloon Voice (VIDEO)
- The 10 Most Important 'Interstellar' Mysteries Revealed at Comic-Con 2014
- 'Hot Tub Time Machine 2' Trailer: Back To the Hilariously Outrageous Future (VIDEO)
- There's Still Hope For an 'X-Files' Reboot
- Ian Somerhalder Heads to Comic-Con After Looking Lovey Dovey with Rumored Girlfriend Nikki Reed
- Matt Bomer Accidentally Gropes Liv Tyler in 'Space Station 76' Trailer
- Gwen Stefani & Gavin Rossdale Head on Vacation with Family!
- Mad Men's Jessica Pare Takes Advantage of Her Free Time After Filming Wraps!