Kanye West Changes Title, Artwork of Controversial 'Theraflu' Single
The company which produces the over-the-counter flu and cold remedy took issue with the song's title and NSFW cover art while PETA took offense to lyrics boasting of mink coats.
After last week's premiere of the track “Theraflu” on New York radio station Hot 97, rapper Kanye West has announced that he's changing the title of the song featuring DJ Khaled to “Way Too Cold.”
West’s label Island Def Jam issued a press release on Saturday to notify of the change, calling it a “creative decision.” The company which produces the over-the-counter cold and flu remedy of the same name reportedly took issue with West's use of their brand, telling TMZ, "We in no way endorse or approve of the references or use of the image and likeness of Theraflu in this manner."
The single’s artwork, drawn by George Condo, who created the cover to West’s My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, while altered slightly (see image below) from the “Theraflu” version, has also elicited its share of controversy for featuring a woman’s bare breasts.
The lyrics, meanwhile, which include the line “Tell PETA my mink is dragging on the floor,” raised the ire of the animal rights organization. "What's draggin’ on the floor is Kanye's reputation as a man with no empathy for animals or human beings,” PETA responded in an April 5 statement. “He’s a great musician but doesn’t seem to have the fashion sense to design anything more than caveman costumes. We keep hoping that one day he’ll find his heart and join evolved style icons-- including Russell Simmons, Pink, and Natalie Portman-- who have dropped animal skins."
“Way Too Cold” is a precursor to “Mercy,” the first track off of West’s forthcoming G.O.O.D. Music project featuring Big Sean, Pusha T and 2 Chainz. A full album is expected to be released this summer. The direct-to-digital track is currently being sold through West’s website as well as other digital retailers and services.
What Hollywood Earns
What's Hot In Music
- Old Dogs & New Tricks: The Oral History of a 'Gay' Web Series (Part 2)
- Steven Tyler Wails 'Dream On' In Maui Like It's 1973
- HuffPost Live's 'Spoiler Alert' Looks Back At This Season's Earliest TV Cancellations
- Remembering Mike Nichols, His Insight and His Introduction to Jacqueline Kennedy at El Morocco
- Emily Ratajkowski Shows Off Her Long Legs at Golden Globes Award Season Celebration
- Michelle Monaghan & James Marsden Have a 'Best of Me' Reunion at Golden Globe Award Season Celebration
- Hilary Duff Reveals Why She Supports March of Dimes
- Nikki Reed Celebrates The Golden Globes With Amanda Crew & Gina Rodriguez