Katy Perry Announces New Album With Gold 18-Wheeler
Perry will return with "Prism" in October, she revealed via an unexpected viral campaign through the streets of Los Angeles.
Katy Perry is making a statement -- with a semi-truck.
An enormous golden truck with "Katy Perry - Prism - 10-22-13" emblazoned on its sides, top and back was spotted in Los Angeles on Monday, as pointed out on Twitter by Perry pal Adam Lambert.
Perry herself encouraged fans to keep an eye out for the shiny viral campaign and confirmed the truck announces the title of her new album and its release date.
"Find the #PRISM semi, take a picture and I'll RT you," she promised, catnip for her Katykats. "Don't worry, Los Angeles is just the first stop on the map."
The October release date will come early in the annual holiday rush, which is already slated to include Lady Gaga's ARTPOP, due Nov. 11. Perry recently passed Gaga as Twitter's most popular woman.
In April, Perry told reporters she was halfway through her Teenage Dream follow-up, with Max Martin, Dr. Luke and Greg Wells among the collaborators.
Perry's had no shortage of projects since wrapping up the album's California Dreams tour: among others, she produced and starred in a 3D concert film (which also chronicled her split with ex-husband Russell Brand), Part of Me; reprised her role as Smurfette in the animated The Smurfs 2, due July 31; and announced her latest fragrance, Killer Queen.
The multi-platinum Teenage Dream made Billboard history with five No. 1 singles, a single-album record for a female artist. In 2012, she was named Billboard's Woman of the Year.
And just last week at Capitol Records' Hollywood headquarters, Perry was presented with a life-sized plaque commemorating sales of 71 million singles and 10 million albums. Pictured below (from left) are: Capitol Music Group executive vice president Michelle Jubelirer, Capitol Records president Dan McCarroll, CMG chairman & CEO Steve Barnett, Perry and CMG evp Greg Thompson.
Health & Hollywood
THR @ TORONTO
What's Hot In Music
- Hippie Blues: 45 Years of Led Zeppelin
- Music Turns Me on: A Conversation With the Hot Band Dopapod
- Ira Sachs' New Film "Love is Strange" Screens at the Deauville American Film Festival: Alfred Molina and John Lithgow as a Married Couple in Love
- 'Dancing With The Stars' Contestant Alfonso Ribeiro Proves Carlton Still Got It
- Lupita Nyong'o Visits 'Sesame Street' and It's All Kinds of Adorable (VIDEO)
- What Every '90s Kid Needs to See in the 'I Know What You Did Last Summer' Reboot
- What's On TV Tonight: 'The Mindy Project' and 'New Girl' Season Premieres, 'Sons of Anarchy,' and More Picks
- 'Sons of Anarchy's' Kim Coates Says the Final Season Is 'Full Out, Full Throttle, Wiping Everybody Out'