Katy Perry Talks Celebrity and Paparazzi Intrusion
The pop star, recently in tabloids for her divorce from Russell Brand, shows a darker side in new interview.
This is not the playful, strike-a-pose Katy Perry we've come to know.
The Grammy nominated hit machine has gone through a difficult first few months of 2012, with her split from British comedian/actor Russell Brand grabbing headlines worldwide. The divorce, coupled with five straight number one singles, a penchant for showing skin on stage and a noted ability to write hookfilled, provacative songs, makes her a magnet for paparazzi attention -- something she vehemently objects to in the cover story of the new Interview Magazine.
Kristen Wiig, who interviewed Perry over the phone, mentioned that her high profile makes the public feel as if they have a right to full access to her personal life. Perry disagreed with the notion.
"But that’s not true. Who wrote that rule? No one wrote that rule. That’s just someone trying to make a selfish plea to be nosy," she said. While noting that she's happy to pose for pictures with kids -- and even give a kidney -- the business side of fame is upsetting to her.
"I think it’s disgusting. What I wanted to be and who I am is a singer and a songwriter," Perry said. "I wanted to be onstage, and I wanted the world to hear my music. The product of that is fame and the disgusting celebrity that goes along with it. But celebrity does not equal creativity, and the reason I’m here is because I want to create... When I’m working, I’m all yours. But when I’m not working, stay the f--k away."
As a result of her difficulty, she said that her next songs are going to be "real f---king dark." Already, she's debuted the song "Part of Me," an obvious nod to the end of her marriage.
It was reported yesterday that Perry is being wooed for a major acting job, as Harvey Weinstein is allegedly working to convince her to star in a Paul Potts biopic. She recently hosted Saturday Night Live and has made a cameo on the CBS comedy How I Met Your Mother. She'll also guest star in Raising Hope.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- Neil LaBute Q&A: The Controversial Playwright Talks About His L.A. Theater Takeover
- Top Off-Broadway Shows to Watch in NYC This Season: Part One
- Megan Fox Is Not Thrilled About The 'Girl Power' That Was Cut From 'TMNT'
- Keith Olbermann's Powerful Speech About Lack Of Respect For Women In Sports Is A Must Watch