Katy Perry Talks Celebrity and Paparazzi Intrusion
The pop star, recently in tabloids for her divorce from Russell Brand, shows a darker side in new interview.
This is not the playful, strike-a-pose Katy Perry we've come to know.
The Grammy nominated hit machine has gone through a difficult first few months of 2012, with her split from British comedian/actor Russell Brand grabbing headlines worldwide. The divorce, coupled with five straight number one singles, a penchant for showing skin on stage and a noted ability to write hookfilled, provacative songs, makes her a magnet for paparazzi attention -- something she vehemently objects to in the cover story of the new Interview Magazine.
Kristen Wiig, who interviewed Perry over the phone, mentioned that her high profile makes the public feel as if they have a right to full access to her personal life. Perry disagreed with the notion.
"But that’s not true. Who wrote that rule? No one wrote that rule. That’s just someone trying to make a selfish plea to be nosy," she said. While noting that she's happy to pose for pictures with kids -- and even give a kidney -- the business side of fame is upsetting to her.
"I think it’s disgusting. What I wanted to be and who I am is a singer and a songwriter," Perry said. "I wanted to be onstage, and I wanted the world to hear my music. The product of that is fame and the disgusting celebrity that goes along with it. But celebrity does not equal creativity, and the reason I’m here is because I want to create... When I’m working, I’m all yours. But when I’m not working, stay the f--k away."
As a result of her difficulty, she said that her next songs are going to be "real f---king dark." Already, she's debuted the song "Part of Me," an obvious nod to the end of her marriage.
It was reported yesterday that Perry is being wooed for a major acting job, as Harvey Weinstein is allegedly working to convince her to star in a Paul Potts biopic. She recently hosted Saturday Night Live and has made a cameo on the CBS comedy How I Met Your Mother. She'll also guest star in Raising Hope.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot In Music
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama
- 'X-Men' Director Bryan Singer Accused of Sexually Abusing Underage Boy
- Jennifer Lopez is a Sexy Slice of Orange on 'American Idol'!
- Mila Kunis & Olivia Wilde Take Us on an Emotional Roller Coaster in 'Third Person' Trailer - Watch Now!
- Justin Bieber Makes Time to Show His Gratitude To Fans in Beverly Hills!