Katy Perry Confirms Next 'PRISM' Single
The follow-up to the No. 1 single "Roar" will be a power ballad.
Katy Perry's latest Billboard cover story is out Friday, and in the pop star's breakdown of all things PRISM, she confirmed that the power ballad "Unconditionally" will serve as the forthcoming album's second single.
When Perry previewed PRISM at an industry listening event earlier this month, the singer described "Unconditionally" as her favorite song on her third record, which is due out Oct. 22. With woodblock percussion and throbbing bass, "Unconditionally" sounded like a grown-up, more grounded version of Teenage Dream's starry-eyed second single and title track. "There is no fear now / I will love you unconditionally," Perry sings on the track.
Perry all but confirmed that "Unconditionally" would be the follow-up to "Roar" at the iHeartRadio Music Festival last Friday, Sept. 20. "It's a love song, and it's different from 'Roar' -- it's not eighth-notey," Perry told MTV about the new single. "And I think it's a universal love song that everyone's going to be able to relate to no matter the age, no matter male or female. It's my favorite song off the record."
"Roar," which became Perry's eighth No. 1 single on the Hot 100 chart, holds tight at No. 2 on this week's chart, while album track and non-single "Dark Horse" (featuring Juicy J) debuted at No. 17 on the tally. Perry debuted the latter song live, alongside Juicy J, during her iHeartRadio set.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot In Music
- Seth Meyers To Host 2014 Emmy Awards On August 25
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services