Katy Perry Joins the Marines in 'Part of Me' Music Video
The pop singer embraces the single life with short hair and camo in her latest clip.
Shedding her sugary sweet image, Katy Perry opts for a pixie cut and camouflage in her music video for “Part of Me.”
The singer pairs her infectious radio hit with a military theme, promoting female empowerment in the wake of a messy breakup.
The video opens with a confrontation as Perry leaves her straying boyfriend behind. In the scenes that follow, the raven-haired singer decides to join the marines — chopping off her lengthy locks and enlisting in basic training.
The Ben More-directed video was shot in February at the Camp Pendleton Marine Corps base in Oceanside, Calif. “Part of Me” debuted on Wednesday, March 21, during an MTV Special, MTV First: Katy Perry.
"It's an affirmation of strength, so I wanted to go the strongest route I ever could," Perry said during the show. "Literally, I was like, 'I'm gonna join the service. I'm gonna join the Marines.' We used only Marines. ... For three days, I was a wannabe Marine, which was so difficult."
Perry’s latest single will be featured on her forthcoming Teenage Dream: The Complete Confection, due out March 26.
Fall TV Preview
What's Hot In Music
- McKayla Maroney Was Reportedly Underage In Hacked Nude Photos
- Richard Lewis Talks Richard Lewis: Bundle of Nerves: Mighty Movie Podcast
- Justin Verlander Addresses Online Photo Hacking Of Him And Girlfriend Kate Upton
- Internet Tries Donating In 'Honor' Of Leaked Jennifer Lawrence Photos, Nonprofit's Not Having It
- Rita Ora & Cara Delevingne Flaunt Their Long Legs at GQ Men of the Year Awards 2014
- Gerard Butler Makes Hugo Boss Look So Good at GQ Men of the Year Awards 2014
- Mindy Kaling to 'Flare': If I Want 3 Kids, I Need to Get Going (Exclusive Pic!)
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Honored Her Mom Marcheline at Their Intimate Wedding