Katy Perry Joins the Marines in 'Part of Me' Music Video
The pop singer embraces the single life with short hair and camo in her latest clip.
Shedding her sugary sweet image, Katy Perry opts for a pixie cut and camouflage in her music video for “Part of Me.”
The singer pairs her infectious radio hit with a military theme, promoting female empowerment in the wake of a messy breakup.
The video opens with a confrontation as Perry leaves her straying boyfriend behind. In the scenes that follow, the raven-haired singer decides to join the marines — chopping off her lengthy locks and enlisting in basic training.
The Ben More-directed video was shot in February at the Camp Pendleton Marine Corps base in Oceanside, Calif. “Part of Me” debuted on Wednesday, March 21, during an MTV Special, MTV First: Katy Perry.
"It's an affirmation of strength, so I wanted to go the strongest route I ever could," Perry said during the show. "Literally, I was like, 'I'm gonna join the service. I'm gonna join the Marines.' We used only Marines. ... For three days, I was a wannabe Marine, which was so difficult."
Perry’s latest single will be featured on her forthcoming Teenage Dream: The Complete Confection, due out March 26.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot In Music
- Kaley Cuoco Cuts Her Hair Short, Debuts Blonder Bob Hairdo!
- Emma Stone & Andrew Garfield Bring 'Spider-Man' to 'GMA,' Get Us Really Pumped for the Movie!
- Beyonce Explores Concept of Beauty in 'Pretty Hurts' Video Premiere - Watch Now!
- Third 'Hobbit' Film 'There and Back Again' Renamed to 'Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies'