Katy Perry Says Russell Brand Divorced Her Via Text
The singer also tells Vogue more about her relationship with her ex-husband and on-again, off-again love John Mayer.
Katy Perry found out that ex-husband Russell Brand was divorcing her from a text message. And that's the last time she's heard from him.
"Let’s just say I haven’t heard from him since he texted me saying he was divorcing me on December 31, 2011," Perry tells Vogue.
Perry says she was in love with Brand when she married him, but explains that what he wanted changed over the course of their brief marriage.
"At first when I met him he wanted an equal, and I think a lot of times strong men do want an equal, but then they get that equal and they’re like, I can’t handle the equalness," Perry recounts. "He didn’t like the atmosphere of me being the boss on tour. So that was really hurtful, and it was very controlling, which was upsetting. I felt a lot of responsibility for it ending, but then I found out the real truth, which I can’t necessarily disclose because I keep it locked in my safe for a rainy day. I let go and I was like: This isn’t because of me; this is beyond me. So I have moved on from that."
Perry also notes that her documentary Katy Perry: Part of Me was edited to leave out footage of Brand.
The singer also reveals that she's "madly in love" with on-again, off-again boyfriend John Mayer.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- Best of Late Night TV: Bachelorette Andi Plays the No-ly Wed Game, James Franco's Selfie Tutorial (VIDEO)
- The 'Batkid Begins' Trailer Will Make You Shed a Tear or Two (VIDEO)
- Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, and Dave Bautista Get Weird in Our 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Unscripted (VIDEO)
- Norman Reedus Breaks Down Daryl and Beth's Relationship on 'The Walking Dead'