Katy Perry's 'Roar': Already a Career Best, Sets 2013 Digital Record
In three days, the pop star has sold over 272,000 digital songs and is projected to hit 525,000 within the single's first week of release.
Katy Perry's new single "Roar" marks a career milestone for the pop singer.
The ferocious mid-tempo track, which hit digital retailers at midnight on Aug. 12, has already sold 272,000 digital songs, and "Roar" is on target to move 525,000 in its first week of release, surpassing Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines."
In addition, "Roar" claims the biggest digital song debut of 2013, surpassing One Direction's "Best Song Ever," which tallied 322,000 for the week ending July 28.
The song marks a career best for Perry. Although she hit the ground running just as strongly with her previous album, 2010's Teenage Dream -- a release that would yield five No. 1 singles, a record for a female artist -- the biggest digital track from that cycle was "Firework" with 509,000 unit sales for the week ending Dec. 26, 2010. Perry's biggest digital song debut to date was 2012's "Part of Me," which moved 411,000 its first week out, according to Perry's label, Capitol Music Group.
"Roar" inched onto the Billboard Hot 100 after it leaked on Aug. 10 and is expected to topple Thicke's "Blurred Lines" from the top spot on next week's chart, which factors sales and airplay.
It all bodes for a promising start to the Prism rollout. Perry's third album is slated for release on Oct. 22.
2014 Emmy Awards
What's Hot In Music
- Jon Stewart Loves How Epic HuffPost Headlines Win The Internet
- Jesse Helt, Miley Cyrus' Date At The VMAs, Turns Himself In For Probation Violation
- Solo Concerts, Stealin' Home & Similar Skin: Chats with Bruce Hornsby, Iain Matthews and Umphrey's McGee...Plus!
- Jake 'The Snake' Roberts, Iconic Pro Wrestler, Hospitalized After Collapse
- Julianne Hough Snaps Selfies With Former DWTS Partner Helio Castroneves
- Rose McGowan Pours Pink Paint Over Charli XCX in 'Break The Rules' Music Video - Watch Here!
- Fergie Is Going to Miss the Bar at 'Chelsea Lately'
- Simon Cowell & Girlfriend Lauren Silverman Show Some Affection at 'X Factor UK' Press Launch!