Ke$ha-Flaming Lips Album Won't Happen, Says Wayne Coyne
"I can't say why... It is sad," the Flaming Lips frontman posts on Twitter.
Last spring, the Flaming Lips' Wayne Coyne let fans know that he was working on a full-length collaboration with pop mainstay Ke$ha, who had contributed to the veteran psych-rock band's The Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends collection. Sadly, that project, which was given the amazing working title Lip$ha, will likely never see the light of day.
"As of now ...sadly there will be no Lip$ha.... I can't say why... It is sad…" Coyne cryptically posted on Twitter on Thursday morning (Nov. 7). He then spent the next hour or so re-tweeting disappointed fans -- two of whom speculated that Lukasz "Dr. Luke" Gottwald, Ke$ha's longtime producer and co-writer, put the kibosh on the project.
"We already have a couple songs, and they're stellar," Coyne told Billboard in April about working with Ke$ha on a proper album. "I see a side of her that doesn't want to worry about marketing -- that doesn't want to worry about the things that go into her being a pop star -- and just make music," Coyne says of the 26-year-old pop starlet. "I think her producers will probably allow her to do some weirdo music. That's what her and I call it: 'I want to do some weirdo music with you!'"
Ke$ha recently re-entered the Top 20 of the Hot 100 chart with "Timber," her new collaboration with Pitbull, which the pair will perform at the American Music Awards later this month. The Terror, the Flaming Lips' latest album, debuted at No. 21 on the Billboard 200 chart upon its release last April.
This story first appeared on Billboard.com.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- 'Hot Tub Time Machine 2' Trailer Is The Funniest Thing On LouNet
- Mick Jagger Energizes "A Most Wanted Man" Premiere...Hot Stuff Coming to Broadway: "It's Only a Play" and "A Delicate Balance"--Plan in Advance!
- Fifty Shades Of Grey Adorable Animals: The Version You Aren't Embarrassed To Read In Public
- Eva Longoria Tells America Latino Doesn't Mean Immigrant
- Christopher Nolan Just Brought a New Interstellar Trailer to Comic-Con
- Comic-Con: Everything Benedict Cumberbatch Said That Made Women Scream
- 50 Shades of Grey and The Devil Wears Prada Are Basically the Same Movie
- Chris Carter on Area 51, Playing Softball With Brandon Tartikoff, and the TV Musical in His Closet