Kid Cudi Splits From Kanye West's G.O.O.D. Music
The hip-hop star made the announcement during an interview on L.A.’s Power 106.
Kid Cudi and Kanye West have parted ways, though amicably.
Cudi announced on Tuesday that he is “no longer on G.O.O.D. music” – the West-helmed record label -- during an interview on Los Angeles radio station Power 106. He said, however, that West will be his “big brother forever.”
“[Kanye and I] were talking on the phone the other day and these are things I’ve been wanting to talk to him about,” Cudi said. “Me starting my own direction, and he got it because he’s trying to start his new path and try new things as an artist and he was just like, ‘Man, I feel you as an artist. It’s cool, whatever.'"
Cudi confessed to have made the decision to leave G.O.O.D. six months ago, but hadn’t officially told anyone until recently. “This is just from a business standpoint,” he said. “There’s no beef. There’s no problem with anybody on the label. It’s all love.”
But before going to ‘Ye with his decision, Cudi confided in the rapper and soon-to-be father’s manager, Don C, and Watch the Throne collaborator, Jay-Z. “I went through a process where I talked to Don C and then I went and talked to Jay-Z and got their opinions about how to approach him about things that I wanted to talk to him about, and everybody gave me their blessing.”
Cudi’s next studio album, Indicud, is due out on April 23. Meanwhile, the rapper said he will continue to focus on his own label -- Wicked Awesome Records -- and its roster of artists. “I don't want to have a full label of artists,” he confessed. “I just wanna work with [King] Chip and keep my sound going on the Cudi train.”
Cudi has ventured into film as of late, contributing to The Hunger Games soundtrack last year and most recently, being cast in DreamWorks’ Need for Speed opposite Aaron Paul, Imogen Poots and Dominic Cooper.
Email: Sophie.Schillaci@THR.com; Twitter: @SophieSchillaci
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- The 'Batkid Begins' Trailer Will Make You Shed a Tear or Two (VIDEO)
- Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, and Dave Bautista Get Weird in Our 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Unscripted (VIDEO)
- Norman Reedus Breaks Down Daryl and Beth's Relationship on 'The Walking Dead'
- Get Creeped Out By the Latest Demon-Filled 'Constantine' Trailer (VIDEO)