Kid Cudi Splits From Kanye West's G.O.O.D. Music
The hip-hop star made the announcement during an interview on L.A.’s Power 106.
Kid Cudi and Kanye West have parted ways, though amicably.
Cudi announced on Tuesday that he is “no longer on G.O.O.D. music” – the West-helmed record label -- during an interview on Los Angeles radio station Power 106. He said, however, that West will be his “big brother forever.”
“[Kanye and I] were talking on the phone the other day and these are things I’ve been wanting to talk to him about,” Cudi said. “Me starting my own direction, and he got it because he’s trying to start his new path and try new things as an artist and he was just like, ‘Man, I feel you as an artist. It’s cool, whatever.'"
Cudi confessed to have made the decision to leave G.O.O.D. six months ago, but hadn’t officially told anyone until recently. “This is just from a business standpoint,” he said. “There’s no beef. There’s no problem with anybody on the label. It’s all love.”
But before going to ‘Ye with his decision, Cudi confided in the rapper and soon-to-be father’s manager, Don C, and Watch the Throne collaborator, Jay-Z. “I went through a process where I talked to Don C and then I went and talked to Jay-Z and got their opinions about how to approach him about things that I wanted to talk to him about, and everybody gave me their blessing.”
Cudi’s next studio album, Indicud, is due out on April 23. Meanwhile, the rapper said he will continue to focus on his own label -- Wicked Awesome Records -- and its roster of artists. “I don't want to have a full label of artists,” he confessed. “I just wanna work with [King] Chip and keep my sound going on the Cudi train.”
Cudi has ventured into film as of late, contributing to The Hunger Games soundtrack last year and most recently, being cast in DreamWorks’ Need for Speed opposite Aaron Paul, Imogen Poots and Dominic Cooper.
Email: Sophie.Schillaci@THR.com; Twitter: @SophieSchillaci
Health & Hollywood
THR @ TORONTO
What's Hot In Music
- Music Turns Me on: A Conversation With the Hot Band Dopapod
- Ira Sachs' New Film "Love is Strange" Screens at the Deauville American Film Festival: Alfred Molina and John Lithgow as a Married Couple in Love
- 'Dancing With The Stars' Contestant Alfonso Ribeiro Proves Carlton Still Got It
- 16 'New Girl' Facts That'll Make You Love It Even More
- Lupita Nyong'o Visits 'Sesame Street' and It's All Kinds of Adorable (VIDEO)
- What Every '90s Kid Needs to See in the 'I Know What You Did Last Summer' Reboot
- What's On TV Tonight: 'The Mindy Project' and 'New Girl' Season Premieres, 'Sons of Anarchy,' and More Picks
- 'Sons of Anarchy's' Kim Coates Says the Final Season Is 'Full Out, Full Throttle, Wiping Everybody Out'