The Killers Are Staying 'Neutral' in the Presidential Election
Frontman Brandon Flowers said he had lunch with Mitt Romney at Caesar's Palace but the band decided to stay "neutral."
While it seems like every major artist has chosen sides in the presidential election, The Killers are one of the musical holdouts that are just fine being apolitical.
Flowers said that he had lunch with Mitt Romney at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas and was asked for his support. "We also get asked from Obama. People focus on Romney, but we don't campaign for Obama either," clarified the singer. Flowers, like Romney, is also Mormon. The singer told the newspaper that "Probably, like, 90%" of Mormons usually lean Republican politically.
Mitt Romney has previously singled out The Killers as one of his favorite modern bands.
When asked by Parade who he'd like to see perform at the White House if he was president, Romney responded, "I would certainly want to hear from the Beach Boys, even though I know it's not the same group it used to be. Also Garth Brooks and Kenny Chesney and Toby Keith, and today's rock stars—The Killers are one group I enjoy."
Since that time, band members have fended off questions about whether they were backing the Republican. "Anyone's allowed to like us," the band's bassist Mark Stoermer had told Rolling Stone. "If it's just about music, I guess it's not a negative thing."
The Killers have also played at the White House during the Obama presidency, performing songs on the South Lawn on July 4th in 2010. The band's fourth album, Battle Born, debuted on the Billboard 200 in September with 113,000 copies sold.
What Hollywood Earns
What's Hot In Music
- Kelly Ripa And Michael Strahan Dressed Up As All Your Favorite TV Characters For Halloween
- Julie Bowen, Annie Lennox And 14 Other Stars Pick Their Favorite Horror Movies
- J.K. Rowling Publishes New Story On Pottermore Revealing Inspiration Behind Dolores Umbridge
- Pop Stars Everywhere, Take a Lesson From 5 Seconds of Summer: If You Can't Make Your Point, Don't
- Watch Sofia Coppola's Insanely Charming Holiday Gap Ads (VIDEO)
- Best of Late Night TV: Gordon Ramsay's Pet Pigs and Chris Rock's Top Halloween Costumes (VIDEO)
- 'Horns' Review: 10 Things You Should Know About Daniel Radcliffe's Devilish New Movie
- Man Dressed as Teletubby Arrested for Stealing Chinese Food