The Killers' 'Runaways' Video Drives the Neon Desert (Video)
The synth-rockers debut a slick introduction to their upcoming fourth album, "Battle Born."
In case you didn't know, The Killers are from the desert-scaped state of Nevada.
The neon blur of the endless, empty party that is Las Vegas loomed over their first full album, Hot Fuss, which channeled the boom of the strip and the sirens of the casinos to herald in a return of the synth-pop-rock of 80s icons such as Joy Division and Depeche Mode. The band's follow up, Sam's Town, went to the hard-scrabble mine towns of the state, building epic worker anthems, a la Bruce Springsteen, in a rock album made of folk tale inspirations.
Their third, Day & Age, rocketed Sam's Town to space, an arena rock album that, still mindful of its roots, felt like a world tour packed into a recording studio.
Now, back for their fourth go-round, the band's first single returns to channeling the desperation of Las Vegas, adding in some anthemic elements, as well, creating the downbeat yet catchy "Runaways." As if to remind us of their home state, the new music video places them on a night time desert road, rising on neon platforms like dreamers free of the cynicism that comes with a long stay in Sin City.
The full album, Battle Born, hits stores on September 18.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot In Music
- Matt Bomer Talks 'Fifty Shades' Casting Rumors, Wants to Return for 'Magic Mike XXL'!
- Taylor Swift & Sarah Hyland See an Off-Broadway Play Together!
- Hilary Duff Treats Herself to a Vegan Dinner at Crossroads!
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Express Sadness Over Death of Camilla Parker Bowles' Brother