Kurt Cobain: A Rock Icon by the Numbers
On the 18th anniversary of his death, a look at the life and legacy of the Nirvana frontman.
Kurt Cobain was a true rock star for three years, and 18 trips through the calendar after his death, we remember the shocking news and still feel his ground-shifting impact on music. Those are perhaps the two most important, telling numbers, but here are some more facts and figures that help put his career and legacy in context.
2/20/1967: Cobain's birthday.
9: Cobain's age when his parents divorced, setting in motion a depression and isolation that would mark the rest of his life.
1987: The year Nirvana formed in Washington state.
12: The number of people at Nirvana's first show.
10: The number of times their seminal album Nevermind went platinum, equaling 10 million albums sold.
75 million: Number of albums sold worldwide.
9: Number of times Cobain shouts "A denial!" at the end of "Smells Like Teen Spirit."
4: Number of Nirvana's chart-topping albums in the U.S.: Nevermind, In Utero, MTV Unplugged in New York and From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah.
253: Weeks Nevermind spent on the Billboard 200.
6: Grammy nominations for the band.
0: Grammys won by Nirvana while Cobain was alive; they won best live album for Unplugged in New York in 1996, nearly two years after his death.
1/12/1990: Cobain meets Courtney Love.
1991: Cobain and Love began dating.
8/18/1992: Frances Bean, Cobain's daughter with Love, is born.
9/25/1993: Nirvana appears as the musical guest on Saturday Night Live.
$50 million: The estimated annual income of his estate, as of 2007.
2005: Year Nevermind was added to the Library of Congress.
4/5/1994: Estimated date Cobain committed suicide.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- Chrissy Teigen's Optical Illusion Ensemble Is Making Us Do A Double Take
- Jon Stewart Mocks Media 'Chaos' Over Obamacare Ruling
- North West Takes Her First Steps, Kim Posts Adorable Picture After Swimming Lesson
- The Aquabats! celebrate their 20th anniversary at Comic-Con as they ponder the group's next move