Kurt Cobain Was Working on a Solo Album When He Died, Says Former Hole Guitarist
The Nirvana frontman was shaping a new vision and sound at the time of his death, Eric Erlandson revealed.
In the 15 years since Kurt Cobain's death, there has been endless speculation as to what musical directions he may have taken with Nirvana had he not taken his own life (or whatever theory you may prefer). Now, a massive new wrinkle has been thrown into the equation.
In an interview with Fuse TV, Eric Erlandson, who along with Cobain's wife Courtney Love was a founding member of the band Hole, revealed that Cobain was working on a solo album at the time of his death.
"That’s really what he was going towards, a solo album but working with different people. I was really excited about some of the stuff he was working on. I got to see him play it in front of me," Erlandson said, comparing the album to the Beatles' seminal (and semi-solo) White Album. "That’s why I was really sad [when he died]. I was like, ‘Oh man, not only are you cutting off a life, but a message to the world, a musical path is just left with … Bush and all this other stuff [laughs]. He was cut short. Who knows where the music would have gone."
Some of Nirvana's previously unreleased recordings have made it onto various best-of albums and box sets, but none of his solo work -- at least that which was intended for the solo album -- have been released. Erlandson, who is releasing a book called Letters to Kurt Cobain, says that they may yet see the light of day, though he can't predict what will happen given his detachment from the business dealings of the Cobain estate.
Health & Hollywood
THR @ TORONTO
What's Hot In Music
- Dark Graphic Novella Pays Tribute To The 10th Anniversary Of Arcade Fire's 'Funeral'
- Scientists Show Hitchcock Thriller To 'Vegetative' Man, Get Big Surprise
- Nick Jonas On How Fans Have Helped Him Transition From Band Member To Solo Artist
- Kim Kardashian Asks Nasim Pedrad About That 'SNL' Impression
- So, Maybe Adam Driver Isn't a Villain in 'Star Wars: Episode VII'
- C-3PO Is Getting a Spiffy New Suit in 'Star Wars: Episode VII'
- Best of Late Night TV: How Key & Peele Met, Sex Expert's Tips, Julianna Margulies' Musical Announcements (VIDEO)
- Lupita Nyong'o Visits 'Sesame Street' and It's All Kinds of Adorable (VIDEO)
- Jenny McCarthy Hasn't Watched 'The View' Yet: 'I've Been Hearing Mixed Reviews'
- Kirsten Dunst Doesn't Like Watching Herself On Screen
- Ariana Grande's Rumored Boyfriend Big Sean Says They Have 'Great Chemistry'
- Julianna Margulies & Jimmy Fallon Are Hilarious School Principals Who Sing the Morning Announcements (Video)