Lady Gaga Says New Album 'Artpop' Will Also be an Interactive App
Taking a cue from Bjork, the singer calls her forthcoming release a "multimedia experience."
Albums are so yesterday.
Lady Gaga is thinking bigger for her hugely anticipated next release, titled Artpop, set for early 2013.
In a statement posted on Wednesday to her website LittleMonsters.com, the fashion-forward pop diva says that Artpop will be "a multimedia experience" available to fans in various forms, most significantly a downloadable app for use on mobile computing devices.
"The most major way to fully immerse yourself in Artpop is through the app," Gaga says. "Artpop will be released as an iPad, iPhone, mobile and computer compatible application that is completely interactive with chats, films for every song, extra music, content, Gaga-inspired games, fashion updates, magazines, and more still in the works!"
Gaga says the beauty of the app approach is that it allows her to add to and embellish Artpop far past its initial release date.
"I will also be able to upload new things to the app all the time, the same way I upload to twitter and LM.com. You inspired me to create something that communicated with images, because you do, you communicate with me and each other with .gifs and pictures, and artwork, graphics all day 24/7," Gaga writes.
In a move that can only delight Apple Inc., the singer signs off with a reminder to her fans to "start asking for iPads for X-mas!!" But she reassures those without access to a tablet or smartphone that they can buy the new single via old-fashioned "digital download" methods, too: "It will also be released in the regular physical and digitals," Gaga writes, "which will be unique and different to the app."
The strategy isn't a new one: Earlier this year, Icelandic singer Bjork was the first major artist to simultaneously release a new album as an iPad and iPhone app.
Biophilia the app divided the album into a galaxy of ten stars, each giving users access to essays, interactive games, videos and animations in addition to the music that inspired them.
Health & Hollywood
THR @ TORONTO
What's Hot In Music
- Hippie Blues: 45 Years of Led Zeppelin
- Music Turns Me on: A Conversation With the Hot Band Dopapod
- Ira Sachs' New Film "Love is Strange" Screens at the Deauville American Film Festival: Alfred Molina and John Lithgow as a Married Couple in Love
- 'Dancing With The Stars' Contestant Alfonso Ribeiro Proves Carlton Still Got It
- Lupita Nyong'o Visits 'Sesame Street' and It's All Kinds of Adorable (VIDEO)
- What Every '90s Kid Needs to See in the 'I Know What You Did Last Summer' Reboot
- What's On TV Tonight: 'The Mindy Project' and 'New Girl' Season Premieres, 'Sons of Anarchy,' and More Picks
- 'Sons of Anarchy's' Kim Coates Says the Final Season Is 'Full Out, Full Throttle, Wiping Everybody Out'