Lady Gaga Cutting Off Press Access, No Longer Doing Interviews Following Oprah Broadcast (Video)
The Grammy-winner wants to step back from her rampant publicity, but the ramifications remain to be seen.
Lady Gaga's career has, to date, been in many ways as much a commentary on celebrity as it has been about her music. After all, her first hit album was titled The Fame; her second, The Fame Monster. But following her most intimate -- and public -- interview yet, the pop star will be stepping back from the spotlight.
"Other than this interview, Oprah, I do not intend to speak to anyone for a very long time," Gaga says in her upcoming televised talk with Oprah Winfrey on Oprah's Next Chapter, set to air on Sunday night. "No press, no television, if my mom calls and says, 'Did you hear about…’ I shut it all off.”
It's an interesting turn, given how much she has relied on relentless media coverage not just to build up the mythology and hype around her songs and always-costumed persona, but to advocate on behalf of the causes that she holds so dear. Gaga -- real name Stefani Germanotta -- is a fierce advocate of gay rights, having made many public statements, both in her music and emotional interviews, in support of gay marriage and the end of social discrimination.
In fact, Gaga just launched -- with Winfrey -- the Born This Way Foundation, which will fight bullying and promote civility and pride amongst children and high schoolers. How the media blackout will affect that remains to be seen, though it'd be hard to believe that she will stop making speeches and public appearances to advance the cause.
Also in question: how often she will tweet, as just this month, Gaga reached 20 million Twitter followers.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- Sandra Bullock Celebrates Her 50th Birthday At Cowboy Bar In Wyoming
- Chadwick Boseman On James Brown: 'There Is A Certain Amount Of Cutthroat-ness To Him'
- Sharon Stone On Surviving Her Brain Aneurysm: 'I Was Burned To The Ground' (VIDEO)
- George R.R. Martin Says 'South Park' Got One Major Thing Wrong
- 'The Hunger Games: Mockingjay' Trailer Teases The Coming War
- 'The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1' Trailer Suggests That Playtime Is Over (VIDEO)
- Weekend Box Office: Scarlett Johannson's 'Lucy' Beats The Rock's 'Hercules'
- All About That Mind-Blowing 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Footage From Comic-Con 2014