Lady Gaga Cutting Off Press Access, No Longer Doing Interviews Following Oprah Broadcast (Video)
The Grammy-winner wants to step back from her rampant publicity, but the ramifications remain to be seen.
Lady Gaga's career has, to date, been in many ways as much a commentary on celebrity as it has been about her music. After all, her first hit album was titled The Fame; her second, The Fame Monster. But following her most intimate -- and public -- interview yet, the pop star will be stepping back from the spotlight.
"Other than this interview, Oprah, I do not intend to speak to anyone for a very long time," Gaga says in her upcoming televised talk with Oprah Winfrey on Oprah's Next Chapter, set to air on Sunday night. "No press, no television, if my mom calls and says, 'Did you hear about…’ I shut it all off.”
It's an interesting turn, given how much she has relied on relentless media coverage not just to build up the mythology and hype around her songs and always-costumed persona, but to advocate on behalf of the causes that she holds so dear. Gaga -- real name Stefani Germanotta -- is a fierce advocate of gay rights, having made many public statements, both in her music and emotional interviews, in support of gay marriage and the end of social discrimination.
In fact, Gaga just launched -- with Winfrey -- the Born This Way Foundation, which will fight bullying and promote civility and pride amongst children and high schoolers. How the media blackout will affect that remains to be seen, though it'd be hard to believe that she will stop making speeches and public appearances to advance the cause.
Also in question: how often she will tweet, as just this month, Gaga reached 20 million Twitter followers.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot In Music
- Seth Meyers To Host 2014 Emmy Awards On August 25
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services