Lady Gaga Unveils Eye-Popping 'ARTPOP' Artwork
Mother Monster posted a lyric from her hit "Applause" while revealing the new image on Twitter.
The "art" in the phrase "album artwork" is rarely emphasized as much as when Lady Gaga is involved, and after meshing her body and a motorcycle on the Born This Way, a Gaga sculpture gives birth to a giant blue ball -- the world, perhaps? -- in the official ARTPOP cover, which was unveiled on Monday, Oct. 7.
Gaga commissioned famed New York sculptor Jeff Koons to design the artwork, and Koons, in return, designed a whole new Lady Gaga, one which is nude, wearing her signature blonde wig and cupping her breasts. Behind the faux Gaga and the blue ball between her legs are mashed-up pieces of Sandro Botticelli's classic 1486 painting "The Birth of Venus," which depicts the disrobed goddess emerging from the sea as a grown woman.
"One second I'm a Koons, then suddenly the Koons is me!" Gaga posted on Twitter -- a line from her new hit "Applause" -- while revealing the album cover.
ARTPOP arrives on Nov. 11, while "Applause" slips one spot to No. 9 on this week's Hot 100 chart.
What Hollywood Earns
What's Hot In Music
- 7 Things You Didn't Know About 'Girls,' As Told By Jenni Konner
- Downloading Music Is Quickly Going Out Of Fashion
- Citizenfour Review: Quiet Moments in a Hong Kong Hotel Room as Edward Snowden, Journalists Fight to Save Democracy
- Polyenso's '17 New Years' Just Created Your New Favorite Genre Of Music
- Ryan Gosling Spotted for First Time Since His Baby's Birth!
- Hilary Swank, Ashlee Simpson & Evan Ross Have A Special Evening at Photographer Brian Bowen Smith's Wildlife Show
- Jennifer Lawrence's Umbrella Protects Her from the Sun!
- Evan Rachel Wood Snuggles Up with Katherine Moennig in First Pictures Together!