Lana Del Rey's 'National Anthem' Video Offers Marilyn, Jackie O and Grinding (Video)
The hipster pop enigma brings a Williamsburg sensibility to Camelot in her long-awaited new clip.
Hand it to Lana Del Rey: unsatisfied with simply having stared her way straight through the ceaseless churn of the internet and whispered enough obtuse messages to create her own minor mythology, she's now grabbing onto two of America's most revered -- and mysterious -- women.
The indie pop intrigue has just released the music video for her new single "National Anthem," which places her in the midst of John F. Kennedy's final days. With rapper A$AP Rocky playing the part of the young commander in chief, Del Rey takes on both Marilyn Monroe -- reciting the icon's famous "Happy Birthday" song, in her best effort at all its slinky and seductive glory -- and Jackie O. Albeit a very loose-hipped, dancing version of the First Lady.
Del Rey has a penchant for tempting and confounding the American public, starting with her meteoric rise out of Brooklyn to her panned Saturday Night Live performance and on through her choke-happy "Blue Jeans" single art, to name but a few. Still a mysterious figure, this video should only enhance her intrigue, so tender is the national reflex when it comes to its revered figures from the past.
What's Hot In Music
- Jon Stewart Says The U.S. Is 'Like The Oprah Of Middle East Weapons Systems!'
- Teen Cosplayer Sexually Assaulted And Beaten Near Comic-Con, Police Say
- Nathan Fielder's 'Dumb Starbucks' Episode Finally Airs, And It's Genius
- Justin Bieber And Orlando Bloom Maybe, Possibly Just Had The Lamest Fight Ever
- New DVD Blu-ray: 'Noah,' 'The Other Woman,' 'Twin Peaks'
- Billy Bob Thornton Wants To Guest Star on 'Big Bang Theory' and 'Game of Thrones' and We Hope His Dreams Come True
- Rian Johnson Is Already Revealing Details About 'Star Wars: Episode VIII'
- 'Every Single Thing' In the 'The Walking Dead' Season Five Premiere Is a Spoiler