Lana Del Rey's 'National Anthem' Video Offers Marilyn, Jackie O and Grinding (Video)
The hipster pop enigma brings a Williamsburg sensibility to Camelot in her long-awaited new clip.
Hand it to Lana Del Rey: unsatisfied with simply having stared her way straight through the ceaseless churn of the internet and whispered enough obtuse messages to create her own minor mythology, she's now grabbing onto two of America's most revered -- and mysterious -- women.
The indie pop intrigue has just released the music video for her new single "National Anthem," which places her in the midst of John F. Kennedy's final days. With rapper A$AP Rocky playing the part of the young commander in chief, Del Rey takes on both Marilyn Monroe -- reciting the icon's famous "Happy Birthday" song, in her best effort at all its slinky and seductive glory -- and Jackie O. Albeit a very loose-hipped, dancing version of the First Lady.
Del Rey has a penchant for tempting and confounding the American public, starting with her meteoric rise out of Brooklyn to her panned Saturday Night Live performance and on through her choke-happy "Blue Jeans" single art, to name but a few. Still a mysterious figure, this video should only enhance her intrigue, so tender is the national reflex when it comes to its revered figures from the past.
Hollywood Goes Broadway
What Hollywood Earns
What's Hot In Music
- 'Game Of Thrones' Natalie Dormer to Star in Creepy Thriller 'The Forest'
- 'Fall' Trailer: Roman Catholic Priest's Life Shattered By Letter (VIDEO)
- Is Jena Malone Playing Robin in 'Batman v. Superman'?
- Best of Late Night TV: Bill Murray's Tinder Talk, Jack Black's Cereal Jingle, John Leguizamo's Fight With Patrick Swayze (VIDEO)
- Josh Hutcherson Premieres 'Paradise Lost' in Paris with Girlfriend Claudia Traisac
- Julianne Moore & Ellen Page's Gay Rights Drama 'Freeheld' Banned from Filming at Catholic School
- Shailene Woodley Opens Up About Nude Scenes for 'White Bird'
- 'Shia LaBeouf' Is a Cannibal in Bizarre Theatrical Piece - Watch Now!