Lana Del Rey's 'National Anthem' Video Offers Marilyn, Jackie O and Grinding (Video)
The hipster pop enigma brings a Williamsburg sensibility to Camelot in her long-awaited new clip.
Hand it to Lana Del Rey: unsatisfied with simply having stared her way straight through the ceaseless churn of the internet and whispered enough obtuse messages to create her own minor mythology, she's now grabbing onto two of America's most revered -- and mysterious -- women.
The indie pop intrigue has just released the music video for her new single "National Anthem," which places her in the midst of John F. Kennedy's final days. With rapper A$AP Rocky playing the part of the young commander in chief, Del Rey takes on both Marilyn Monroe -- reciting the icon's famous "Happy Birthday" song, in her best effort at all its slinky and seductive glory -- and Jackie O. Albeit a very loose-hipped, dancing version of the First Lady.
Del Rey has a penchant for tempting and confounding the American public, starting with her meteoric rise out of Brooklyn to her panned Saturday Night Live performance and on through her choke-happy "Blue Jeans" single art, to name but a few. Still a mysterious figure, this video should only enhance her intrigue, so tender is the national reflex when it comes to its revered figures from the past.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot In Music
- Watch These Grooving 'Grannies' Get Down Before Running Marathons For A Good Cause
- David Alan Grier's 'How To Tell Black People Apart' Is Just What The World Needs
- Debbie Allen Knows There Won't Be Diversity On TV Until We Meld Into One Melting Pot Of A Race
- Nikki Reed Talks 'In Your Eyes,' 'Twilight' And More With Co-Star Michael Stahl-David