Lea Michele on Cory Monteith Ballad 'If You Say So': 'Therapeutic and Difficult'
"I have to acknowledge what I've been through this year," says the "Glee" lead of her newly released debut album, "Louder."
Lea Michele's much-anticipated debut album Louder, released March 3, kicks off with the self-empowerment track "Cannonball" and closes with "If You Say So," the ballad titled with some of the last words she heard from her boyfriend and co-star Cory Monteith, who died last July.
"I have to acknowledge what I've been through this year," Michele told Billboard of Louder's playlist. "It was really difficult, which I think is represented in 'If You Say So,' and a song like 'Cannonball' represents finding strength and hope. These are the two sides of my life right now. The grief, but also the search for strength and hope. I really wanted those two songs to bookend the album. Really let everyone know where I'm at."
The Glee breakout and Broadway alum worked with Sia, Christina Perri, Colin Munroe and Stargate on the album, which is sprinkled with bittersweet love songs like "Battlefield" and "Burn With You," as well as dance-friendly offerings like the title track.
Of the album's final song, which she wrote after Monteith's death, Michele noted that "listening to it, it's therapeutic and difficult. It will always represent the most devastating thing that's ever happened to me in my whole life."
For more on Michele's debut album, head to Billboard.com.
What Hollywood Earns
What's Hot In Music
- Rachel McAdams & Taylor Kitsch Officially Confirmed for 'True Detective' Season 2
- Here's Your First Look at Hugh Jackman as Blackbeard in 'Pan' (PHOTOS)
- Oscar Isaac to Play Titular Villain in 'X-Men: Apocalypse'
- 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' Trailer Will Debut This Week -- But Only in Select Theaters (PHOTO)
- Gwyneth Paltrow Brings Chris Martin & Kids to Goop Store Opening in Dallas!
- Watch Nine Minutes of Daniel Radcliffe's Film 'What If' with This Exclusive Clip!
- Rachel McAdams & Taylor Kitsch Confirmed for 'True Detective' Season 2 - Find Out Who They'll Play!
- Kim Kardashian Is Confident Enough to Eat Cupcakes for 'Elle UK'