Lea Michele on Cory Monteith Ballad 'If You Say So': 'Therapeutic and Difficult'
"I have to acknowledge what I've been through this year," says the "Glee" lead of her newly released debut album, "Louder."
Lea Michele's much-anticipated debut album Louder, released March 3, kicks off with the self-empowerment track "Cannonball" and closes with "If You Say So," the ballad titled with some of the last words she heard from her boyfriend and co-star Cory Monteith, who died last July.
"I have to acknowledge what I've been through this year," Michele told Billboard of Louder's playlist. "It was really difficult, which I think is represented in 'If You Say So,' and a song like 'Cannonball' represents finding strength and hope. These are the two sides of my life right now. The grief, but also the search for strength and hope. I really wanted those two songs to bookend the album. Really let everyone know where I'm at."
The Glee breakout and Broadway alum worked with Sia, Christina Perri, Colin Munroe and Stargate on the album, which is sprinkled with bittersweet love songs like "Battlefield" and "Burn With You," as well as dance-friendly offerings like the title track.
Of the album's final song, which she wrote after Monteith's death, Michele noted that "listening to it, it's therapeutic and difficult. It will always represent the most devastating thing that's ever happened to me in my whole life."
For more on Michele's debut album, head to Billboard.com.
What's Hot In Music
- Do I Really Need to Watch Empire? Your Pressing TV Questions, Answered
- The New Avengers: Age of Ultron Trailer Finally Shows Paul Bettany’s Vision
- Real Housewives of Beverly Hills Recap: Trippin’ in Amsterdam
- Self/less Trailer: Imagine You Looked Like Ben Kingsley But Then Got to Look Like Ryan Reynolds
- Here's a Sneak Peek at the Wedding in 'The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel' (EXCLUSIVE)
- New 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Trailer Features a Lot More Superhero Action
- 'Guardians,' 'Fault in Our Stars,' 'Neighbors' Dominate MTV Movie Award Noms
- See What Happens When 'When Wes Anderson Meets 'X-Men' (VIDEO)
- Daniel von Bargen Dead - 'Seinfeld' Actor Dies at 64 From Undisclosed Illness
- Courteney Cox Calls Ed Sheeran 'Amazing' For BRIT Awards 2015 Performance
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Final Trailer Released - Watch Now!
- Scott Eastwood Goes Shirtless, Spoofs the 'Bachelor' in 'Bachelor for Dogs' Video - Watch Now!