Lea Michele on Cory Monteith Ballad 'If You Say So': 'Therapeutic and Difficult'
"I have to acknowledge what I've been through this year," says the "Glee" lead of her newly released debut album, "Louder."
Lea Michele's much-anticipated debut album Louder, released March 3, kicks off with the self-empowerment track "Cannonball" and closes with "If You Say So," the ballad titled with some of the last words she heard from her boyfriend and co-star Cory Monteith, who died last July.
"I have to acknowledge what I've been through this year," Michele told Billboard of Louder's playlist. "It was really difficult, which I think is represented in 'If You Say So,' and a song like 'Cannonball' represents finding strength and hope. These are the two sides of my life right now. The grief, but also the search for strength and hope. I really wanted those two songs to bookend the album. Really let everyone know where I'm at."
The Glee breakout and Broadway alum worked with Sia, Christina Perri, Colin Munroe and Stargate on the album, which is sprinkled with bittersweet love songs like "Battlefield" and "Burn With You," as well as dance-friendly offerings like the title track.
Of the album's final song, which she wrote after Monteith's death, Michele noted that "listening to it, it's therapeutic and difficult. It will always represent the most devastating thing that's ever happened to me in my whole life."
For more on Michele's debut album, head to Billboard.com.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- Neil LaBute Q&A: The Controversial Playwright Talks About His L.A. Theater Takeover
- Top Off-Broadway Shows to Watch in NYC This Season: Part One
- Megan Fox Is Not Thrilled About The 'Girl Power' That Was Cut From 'TMNT'
- Keith Olbermann's Powerful Speech About Lack Of Respect For Women In Sports Is A Must Watch