Lil Wayne Breaks Elvis' Billboard Hot 100 Record
The rapper notches his 109th single on the chart with a feature on Game’s new hit, “Celebration.”
The King has been overthrown.
Big news for Lil Wayne fans: Weezy F. Baby has officially surpassed Elvis Presley with the most hit singles on Billboard’s Hot 100 chart.
The milestone comes via Game’s appropriately titled release, “Celebration,”on which Wayne features. The track marks Weezy’s 109th entry on the chart, beating the 108 posted by the late Presley between 1958 and 2003.
And though the Glee cast has recorded a whopping 204 entries on the Hot 100 since 2009, Tunechi holds the artist title – due in large part to his many, many collaborations with other artists.
Of his 109 hit singles, only 42 (39 percent) of them are solo records. The remaining 67 (61 percent) are other artists’ songs – including Jay Sean, Destiny’s Child, Birdman and his Cash Money family, among others. Wayne made his Hot 100 debut on July 10, 1999, but first hit No. 1 with 2008’s “Lollipop.” (His only other top ranking single is 2009’s “Down,” on which he assisted Sean.)
It’s worth noting that Presley is billed as the lead artist on all 108 of his hits, dating back only to the 1958 launch of the chart. “Heartbreak Hotel,” “Don’t Be Cruel” and “Hound Dog” all pre-date the Billboard Hot 100. His closest competition in the lead artist category? James Brown (91), Aretha Franklin (73) and Ray Charles (72).
Email: Sophie.Schillaci@thr.com; Twitter: @SophieSchillaci
Health & Hollywood
THR @ TORONTO
What's Hot In Music
- Best of Late Night TV: How Key & Peele Met, Sex Expert's Tips, Julianna Margulies' Musical Announcements (VIDEO)
- Lupita Nyong'o Visits 'Sesame Street' and It's All Kinds of Adorable (VIDEO)
- What Every '90s Kid Needs to See in the 'I Know What You Did Last Summer' Reboot
- What's On TV Tonight: 'The Mindy Project' and 'New Girl' Season Premieres, 'Sons of Anarchy,' and More Picks
- Katherine Heigl & Kate Walsh Celebrate NBC's New TV Season
- Lauren Conrad's Wedding Dress Revealed in 1st Wedding Photo to William Tell - See it Here!
- Kristen Bell Puts Pregnancy Style on Display for Samsung Ad!
- Kat Graham Speaks at 'Vampire Diaries' Vegas Convention Before Season Six Premiere Photos Released