Lil Wayne Says He's 'an Epileptic,' Blames Seizure Scare on Stress
Says the rapper: "I could've died."
In his first interview since his life-threatening seizure scare, Lil Wayne says he is epileptic and blames his health issues on stress.
"The bad news is I'm an epileptic. I'm prone to seizures," he tells radio's Power 108 (via Rap-Up.com). "This isn’t my first, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh seizure. I’ve had a bunch of seizures, ya’ll just never hear about them. But this time it got real bad ’cause I had three of them in a row and on the third one, my heart rate went down to like 30 percent. Basically, I could’ve died, so that is why it was so serious."
Last week, the 30-year-old rapper was released from Los Angeles’ Cedars-Sinai hospital after several days of treatment that included a stay in the intensive car unit. Reports surfaced that he was near death after suffering from seizures and speculation also grew that his ailment was the result of a “sizzurp binge"-fueled codeine overdose.
But Lil Wayne insists "the reason being for the seizures is just plain stress, no rest, overworking myself. That’s just typical me though."
Meanwhile, he's apparently Zen about the breathless media coverage that he had been on his deathbed. Referring specifically to TMZ, he observes: "That’s what they do. I can’t be upset at that. I get upset at my kids when they do things that I tell them not to do. I can’t be upset at TMZ for doing what they do. They gon’ probably come out tomorrow and say something else about somebody else that ain’t true."
The rapper's 10th studio album, I Am Not A Human Being II drops March 26, on Cash Money Records. This summer, he embarks on his America’s Most Wanted Music Festival tour alongside T.I. and Future.
Sundance: On the Scene