Linkin Park's Chester Bennington to Appear With Stone Temple Pilots at MusiCares Benefit
The singer will continue the role of STP vocalist at the May 30 concert event at Club Nokia in Los Angeles.
After filling in for ousted Stone Temple Pilots singer Scott Weiland at the May 18 KROQ Weenie Roast, Linkin Park's Chester Bennington will continue to handle the role of new STP vocalist at the upcoming MusiCares MAP Fund benefit concert, taking place May 30 at Club Nokia in Los Angeles.
There, Bennington will join STP guitarist Dean DeLeo, bassist Robert DeLeo and drummer Eric Kretz, along with special guests Duff McKagan (Guns N' Roses, Loaded, Velvet Revolver) and Slash at the ninth annual charity event benefiting the MusiCares MAP Fund, which provides members of the music community access to addiction recovery treatment regardless of their financial situation.
At Weenie Roast, Bennington and the group performed a 40-minute surprise set, which included such STP classics as "Vaseline" and "Sex Type Thing." They also premiered "Out Of Time," the group's debut collaboration with Bennington and first stab at new material since 2010's Stone Temple Pilots.
Over the course of its incredibly rocky two decades with Weiland as its leader, Stone Temple Pilots disbanded in 1997 and in 2002 before reuniting long enough to release a new self-titled album in 2010. Last February, the DeLeo brothers and Kretz announced that Weiland had been "officially terminated" from the group, and the singer subsequently embarked on a solo tour.
With multiple press photos taken of the new, Bennington-fronted quartet, will STP ride on with Bennington at the helm? "When the opportunity came up to do something creative with them, I jumped at the chance," said Bennington. "The guys in Linkin Park have been incredibly supportive of me undertaking this project while I've continued to work on new music with LP."
The MusiCares concert will be hosted by Bobby Lee of Mad TV and include appearances by skateboarder Tony Alva and his band Chicken Noodle Project, musician/songwriter Ida Maria and Mix Master Mike, who will DJ the event. Comedian Andy Dick is also slated to take the stage.
Bennington will be presented with the Stevie Ray Vaughan Award by Linkin Park co-vocalist Mike Shinoda, recognizing for his commitment to the addiction recovery process. Alva will be presented with the MusiCares From the Heart Award by Red Hot Chili Peppers frontman Anthony Kiedis.
Billboard's Emily Votaw contributed to this report.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot In Music
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)
- Brittany Murphy & Dakota Fanning Were The Perfect Couple In 'Uptown Girls'
- Ian Somerhalder Sings Smokey Robinson Classic in 'Esquire China' Behind the Scene Video - Watch Now!
- 'Glee'Actor Harry Shum Jr. is Engaged to Girlfriend Shelby Rabara!
- Nicole Richie Proudly Rocks New Purple Hair at Lunch with Joel Madden!
- Zooey Deschanel's 'New Girl' & Mindy Kaling's 'Mindy Project' Get Early Renewals From Fox!