Listen to 'The Way, Way Back's' Title Track (Exclusive Audio)
Composer Rob Simonsen also worked on "The Spectacular Now."
The Hollywood Reporter can exclusively stream the first track from Columbia Records' soundtrack of Fox Searchlight’s The Way, Way Back, days ahead of its July 23 release date.
The eponymous track comes from composer Rob Simonsen, whose credits include All Good Things, Seeking a Friend for the End of the World and a collaboration on (500) Days of Summer. He also worked on next month’s The Spectacular Now, which debuted alongside The Way, Way Back at this year’s Sundance Film Festival.
Simonsen, who learned to play piano by ear and continued to study music in college, returns to his original instrument on the album’s final track. Accompanied by gentle orchestration and soaring vocals, the track transitions from guitar to piano as it crescendos. The song’s simplicity complements the film’s retrospective tone.
Directed by Nat Faxon and Jim Rash, the Oscar-winning scribes behind The Descendants, the quaint family comedy-drama tells the coming-of-age story of a teen boy who must spend his summer vacation at a waterpark with his mother and her overbearing boyfriend. It features a star-studded cast, including Toni Collette, Steve Carell, Allison Janney, Sam Rockwell and Maya Rudolph.
Listen to “The Way, Way Back” here.
The Way, Way Back is currently showing in select theaters.
What's Hot In Music
- 'Supreme Court: No Girls Allowed' Perfectly Parodies The Hobby Lobby Ruling
- Colbert Mocks Kim Kardashian's New Video Game, Introduces One Of His Own
- On 'The Bachelorette' Finale, We Learned That Sex Happens -- Even On Reality TV
- Micah McCain Dishes Up Bette Midler In 'Beaches' In Just Under 4 Minutes
- Dianna Agron Rocks Really High Hair for 'Headlock' Filming
- Benedict Cumberbatch Think His Evil Character Kahn Could Come Back for 'Star Trek 3'!
- Pregnant Zoe Saldana & Chris Pratt Strike the Sassiest Pose Ever at New York Stock Exchange!
- Colton Haynes is a Sexy Leather Stud for New Diesel by Nicola Formichetti Campaign