LL Cool J Defends 'Accidental Racist': 'I'm Really Proud of It'
The rapper, who appears on Brad Paisley's controversial song about race relations, says art is about "building bridges and breaking the rules."
LL Cool J says if "Accidental Racist" makes you uncomfortable, then he did his job right.
The rapper/actor finds himself at the center of a lively Internet debate over the new Brad Paisley song about North/South race relations.
The song, which has earned scathing critiques from websites like Jezebel and Vulture, features a hip-hop interlude in which LL raps as an African-American being judged by the clothes he wears.
"Just because my pants are saggin' doesn't mean I'm up to no good," goes one lyric. In another, LL calls himself "a new fangled Django, dodgin' invisible white hoods."
"Music is about, and art is about, connecting different people, and building bridges and breaking the rules," the rapper tells CNN, who caught up with him at Sunday's Academy of Country Music Awards in Las Vegas. "If it's not compelling, and it's not complex and it's not interesting, then what are we doing it for? So I think that's the right move."
He adds: "I needed to do something that was going to be interesting like that, and shake things up, and jump out of the box. I'm really proud of it, and I hope the world hears it and enjoys it."
Paisley also defended the controversial song, writing on Twitter, "I hope it triggers emotions."
What Hollywood Earns
What's Hot In Music
- Allow One Direction To Romance You In Their 'Night Changes' Music Video
- 2014 Latin Grammys Shared The Spotlight With Obama But Still Shone Brightly
- Chatting with Chris Botti and Madeleine Peyroux, Plus Twin Hidden Covers "Yellow Flicker Beat"
- Taylor Swift And Selena Gomez Have A Super Fun Girls Night With Ellie Goulding
- Eddie Redmayne Facts: 23 Things You (Probably) Don't Know About the 'Theory of Everything' Star
- 'The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1' Review: A Dull, Dark Exercise
- The 25 Best Christmas Movies Ever Made
- Best of Late Night TV: Celebrities Read Mean Tweets and One Direction's Adorable Selfie (VIDEO)
- Connie Britton & Taylor Kitsch Have a 'Friday Night Lights' Reunion
- The Vamps Rock Out with Special Performance at Just Jared's Homecoming Dance Presented by Ever After High!
- One Direction Take The Cutest Selfie Ever On 'Kimmel' & Premiere 'Night Changes' Music Video
- Prince Harry Calls Out Charities 'Built Around Egos'