LL Cool J Defends 'Accidental Racist': 'I'm Really Proud of It'
The rapper, who appears on Brad Paisley's controversial song about race relations, says art is about "building bridges and breaking the rules."
LL Cool J says if "Accidental Racist" makes you uncomfortable, then he did his job right.
The rapper/actor finds himself at the center of a lively Internet debate over the new Brad Paisley song about North/South race relations.
The song, which has earned scathing critiques from websites like Jezebel and Vulture, features a hip-hop interlude in which LL raps as an African-American being judged by the clothes he wears.
"Just because my pants are saggin' doesn't mean I'm up to no good," goes one lyric. In another, LL calls himself "a new fangled Django, dodgin' invisible white hoods."
"Music is about, and art is about, connecting different people, and building bridges and breaking the rules," the rapper tells CNN, who caught up with him at Sunday's Academy of Country Music Awards in Las Vegas. "If it's not compelling, and it's not complex and it's not interesting, then what are we doing it for? So I think that's the right move."
He adds: "I needed to do something that was going to be interesting like that, and shake things up, and jump out of the box. I'm really proud of it, and I hope the world hears it and enjoys it."
Paisley also defended the controversial song, writing on Twitter, "I hope it triggers emotions."
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- Sexual Harassment At Comic-Con Leads To Call For New Convention Policy
- A Conversation with CBS This Morning's Anthony Mason, Plus Chase Rice, Gentle Giant's Derek Shulman & William Gage Blanton
- The 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1' Trailer Is Here To Fight
- Robert Davi: Singing the Songs He Loves in a Place He Loves
- Weekend Box Office: Scarlett Johannson's 'Lucy' Beats The Rock's 'Hercules'
- All About That Mind-Blowing 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Footage From Comic-Con 2014
- 10 Facts About 'Godzilla 2,' 'Crimson Peak,' 'Skull Island,' and More, Straight From Comic-Con 2014
- Everything Revealed About the 'Goosebumps' Movie at Comic-Con 2014
- Chloe Moretz Wins Fans Favorite Actress Award at Young Hollywood Awards 2014!
- Ian Somerhalder: 'The Vampire Diaries' Wins Best Threesome at Young Hollywood Awards 2014!
- Nikki Reed & Kellan Lutz Have a 'Twilight' Reunion at Young Hollywood Awards 2014!
- 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay' Debuts First Teaser Trailer - Watch Now!