Lorde's 'Royals' Gets Retro Twist from Mayer Hawthorne (Video)
Vevo's Unexpected Covers series features the song on the same week it tops the Hot 100.
Nothing is quite as satisfying as the inventive cover song -- see Fountains of Wayne's take on Britney Spears' "Baby ... One More Time" or Johnny Cash's version of Nine Inch Nails' "Hurt" -- especially when that tune is Lorde's addictive "Royals."
The song hit No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 today, making the 16-year-old New Zealander (nee Ella Yelich-O’Connor) the youngest female singer to top the charts since Tiffany in the 1980s. So it's no wonder her peers are jumping on the bandwagon.
Taking the song for a retro spin is Mayer Hawthorne, who premieres his rendition via Vevo's Unexpected Covers series on Friday, Oct. 4. Watch it below:
The Unexpected Covers series debuted with Passion Pit covering Fun.’s “Carry On.” Said Passion Pit singer Michael Angelakos: “I think it’s one of the prettiest songs on the radio."
Hawthorne released his third studio album, Where Does This Door Go, on July 16.
Lorde's debut, Pure Heroine, released Oct. 1, is expected to land at No. 3 on the Billboard 200 next week.
What's Hot In Music
- Asylum Film Or Children's Book With Tara Reid And Ian Ziering, Stars of 'Sharknado 2'
- Maggie Gyllenhaal Explains How Batman Is Like Pussy Riot
- (VIDEO) Multi-Channel Network Collective Digital Studio Launches New Content for Purina
- Watch #AOLBUILD Live Stream Featuring Aubrey Plaza, Dane Dehaan and @LifeAftrBeth Director Jeff Baena
- New DVD Blu-ray: 'Noah,' 'The Other Woman,' 'Twin Peaks'
- Billy Bob Thornton Wants To Guest Star on 'Big Bang Theory' and 'Game of Thrones' and We Hope His Dreams Come True
- Rian Johnson Is Already Revealing Details About 'Star Wars: Episode VIII'
- 'Every Single Thing' In the 'The Walking Dead' Season Five Premiere Is a Spoiler