Lorde's 'Royals' Gets Retro Twist from Mayer Hawthorne (Video)
Vevo's Unexpected Covers series features the song on the same week it tops the Hot 100.
Nothing is quite as satisfying as the inventive cover song -- see Fountains of Wayne's take on Britney Spears' "Baby ... One More Time" or Johnny Cash's version of Nine Inch Nails' "Hurt" -- especially when that tune is Lorde's addictive "Royals."
The song hit No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 today, making the 16-year-old New Zealander (nee Ella Yelich-O’Connor) the youngest female singer to top the charts since Tiffany in the 1980s. So it's no wonder her peers are jumping on the bandwagon.
Taking the song for a retro spin is Mayer Hawthorne, who premieres his rendition via Vevo's Unexpected Covers series on Friday, Oct. 4. Watch it below:
The Unexpected Covers series debuted with Passion Pit covering Fun.’s “Carry On.” Said Passion Pit singer Michael Angelakos: “I think it’s one of the prettiest songs on the radio."
Hawthorne released his third studio album, Where Does This Door Go, on July 16.
Lorde's debut, Pure Heroine, released Oct. 1, is expected to land at No. 3 on the Billboard 200 next week.
What's Hot In Music
- Dierks Bentley Weighs In On The 'Girl Crush' Country Radio Controversy
- Cookie Lyon of Fox's 'Empire' Sheds Rare Light on Black Women's Incarceration and Reentry
- Ryan Reynolds Spoofs Burt Reynolds In First 'Deadpool' Photo
- What Lindsay From 'Freaks And Geeks' Would Be Up To Today, According to Linda Cardellini
- Sean Hayes & Hubby Lip Sync Iggy Azalea & Jennifer Hudson's 'Trouble' - Watch Now!
- Kim Kardashian's Platinum Blonde Hair Looks Amazing on 'Elle France' April 2015 Cover
- Zayn Malik & Fiancee Perrie Edwards Spotted Out Separately After Leaving One Direction
- Carey Mulligan Talks Cooking Spaghetti Bolognese in 'Skylight' Every Night on 'The Tonight Show' - Watch Here!