Macklemore, Robin Thicke, Lorde Top Shazam's Most Tagged Songs of 2013
The music discovery app also reveals its user-identified picks for 2014.
Music tagging service Shazam has released its 2013 year in review, revealing the top "Shazamed" songs and artists.
Robin Thicke’s “Blurred Lines” topped Shazam's worldwide and U.S. tally. The song was "tagged" (identified sonically) 17.8 million times worldwide and 5.6 million times in the United States.
Avicii’s “Wake Me Up” followed, with 14.7 million tags globally, and Macklemore & Ryan Lewis' “Thrift Shop” took third place with 13.6 million tags. The hip-hop duo’s “Can’t Hold Us” also nabbed fourth place on the worldwide list, and its “Same Love” claimed 10th place on the U.S. list.
Lorde’s “Royals” took the domestic second with 5.1 million tags, while Pink’s “Just Give Me a Reason” followed in third with 4.4 million.
Shazam also tallied syncs used on popular TV shows. Bad Finger’s “Baby Blue,” which was featured prominently in the Breaking Bad finale, was Shazamed more than 43,000 times. Icona Pop’s “I Love It,” which was featured on Girls, went on to be tagged an impressive 2 million times domestically.
Shazam's year-end report also made predictions for 2014, listing a slew of artists to watch, including hip-hop and rap acts Action Bronson, August Alsina, Kid Ink and Rich Homie Quan; female vocalists Banks and Jhené Aiko; singer-songwriters Sam Smith and Vance Joy; Dutch DJ Martin Garrix; and Pretty Little Liars star turned country bumpkin, Lucy Hale.
HOLLYWOOD'S RED CARPET A-LIST
What's Hot In Music
- 11 TV Drama Mistakes That Even Jack Bauer Couldn't Fix
- Best of Late Night TV: Blake Shelton & Gwen Stefani Lip Sync, Len Goodman Spills 'DWTS' Secrets (VIDEO)
- Michael Kors's Best 'Project Runway' Critiques (VIDEO)
- What's On TV Tonight: 'Red Band Society' and 'The Mysteries of Laura' Series Premieres, 'Franklin & Bash,' and More Picks
- Will Ferrell Reprising Role of Mugatu in 'Zoolander 2'!
- Kristen Bell's Husband Dax Shepard Got a Bell Tattoo on His Ring Finger in Honor of His Wife!
- French Actor Gerard Depardieu Says He Sometimes Drinks 14 Bottles of Wine a Day
- Reese Witherspoon Goes Floral for 'The Good Lie' Premiere in Washington, DC!