Malaysia Bans Ke$ha Concert, Cites 'Culture' Clash
The artist and her team had previously agreed to modify their planned show, including making changes to her song lyrics and wardrobe.
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) — Authorities in Muslim-majority Malaysia have banned a planned concert by U.S. pop singer Ke$ha after deciding it would hurt cultural and religious sensitivities.
Concert organizer Livescape said it received a letter about the decision on the eve of the show that was to be held Saturday at a Kuala Lumpur stadium.
The Ministry of Communications and Multimedia said separately that it was rejecting the application for Ke$ha to perform for reasons of religion and culture.
The ministry's statement did not elaborate. Ke$ha, whose hits include "Tik Tok" and "Die Young," has songs that make explicit references to sex and liquor.
Last month, Malaysian officials also barred a performance by American metal band Lamb of God, accusing the Grammy-nominated group's work of being blasphemous.
Ke$ha and her team had previously agreed to modify their planned show in Malaysia, including making changes to her song lyrics and wardrobe, to comply with the government's general guidelines for performers, Livescape said in its statement.
Livescape said it was losing more than 1.1 million ringgit ($350,000) because of the ban. It urged the Malaysian government to "engage in a productive dialogue" with concert promoters to prevent similar incidents.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- Neil LaBute Q&A: The Controversial Playwright Talks About His L.A. Theater Takeover
- Top Off-Broadway Shows to Watch in NYC This Season: Part One
- Megan Fox Is Not Thrilled About The 'Girl Power' That Was Cut From 'TMNT'
- Keith Olbermann's Powerful Speech About Lack Of Respect For Women In Sports Is A Must Watch
- Elizabeth Banks Dishes on 'Pitch Perfect 2': The Bellas Have Gotten Too Big for Their Britches
- Evan Rachel Wood Has the Coolest Backpack Ever Because It Looks Like R2D2!
- Hercules' Irina Shayk Leaves Craig Ferguson Speechless - Watch Now
- Leonardo DiCaprio Tries to Keep Low Profile After Raising $25 Million