'Ding Dong the Witch is Dead' Shooting Up the British Charts After Margaret Thatcher's Death
The Judy Garland song, made famous in "The Wizard of Oz," was bought online by masses of Britons in a concerted effort to mark and celebrate the passing of the former prime minister.
Not everyone was so upset over the death of former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher. In fact, some partied like it was 1939 (and they were members of the Lollipop Guild).
Upon the news of the conservative leader's passing, many marked the occasion by tweeting, "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead," appropriating the refrain shouted out by the joyous, newly freed residents of the Yellow Brick Road in The Wizard of Oz. Taking it a step further, a campaign was launched to make the song -- sung by Judy Garland -- the top song on the various music sales charts in the UK.
A more direct shot at Thatcher, Elvis Costello's "Tramp the Dirt Down," was at 79 on the iTunes chart.
Thatcher's death sparked celebrations among liberals and Labour Party members across the UK, who remembered her less than fondly for policies that destroyed trade unions, supported some international dictators and furthered economic inequality in the nation. Morrissey wrote a scathing note about Thatcher in The Daily Beast, calling her a "a terror without an atom of humanity."
What's Hot In Music
- Best of Late Night TV: Whoopi Goldberg's Lip Flip and Emma Stone's Random Colin Firth Feud (VIDEO)
- 11 Things We Learned at the ABC TCA: Scoop on 'How to Get Away With Murder,' 'Once Upon a Time,' and More
- Watching Kacy Catanzaro Dominate the 'American Ninja Warrior' Course Is a Sight to Behold (VIDEO)
- Syfy's '12 Monkeys' Trailer Rewrites History (VIDEO)
- 'Friends' Reunion! Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, & Lisa Kudrow Grab Dinner Together!
- Cory Monteith's Mom Ann McGregor Opens Up About Her Son's Tragic Death in New Interview (Video)
- Kristen Stewart Steps Out with Friends for Lunch After Dressing In Drag for Jenny Lewis Music Video!
- Kate Hudson Will Post Pic on New Instagram Soon - Follow Her Now!