Mariah Carey Addresses Album Delay, Shoulder Injury in Letter to Fans
The singer's full-length follow-up to 2009's "Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel" was due to be released in July.
Mariah Carey's full-length follow-up to 2009's Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel was on course for a July 23 release, but in late June, the singer delayed the album release indefinitely and then was hospitalized for a shoulder injury in early July. On Friday, Carey gave fans an encouraging update on her injury and addressed the longer-than-expected wait for new music in a letter to fans on her Facebook page.
"The last three months of my life have not been easy," Carey wrote. "Getting through this injury has been the toughest experience of my life. It took me three months to get to this point but thank God I was able to recover and get my arm back."
On July 7, Carey suffered an injury in New York while filming a video for the "#Beautiful" remix, featuring Young Jeezy. The original version of "#Beautiful," a duet with Miguel, peaked at No. 15 on the Hot 100 chart, and Carey announced a July 23 album release date in early June.
"When people expected me to go, 'Here I am, I'm back and everything's great!,' it didn't happen because my hand was still in tremendous pain and it took this long for it to heal," Carey continued. "I've been working day and night, and it took a lot of rest (though I did sneak in to the studio a couple o' times!) but I can finally say that I am on my way to a full recovery."
As far as new music, Carey wrote that "a lot of excitement" would be reaching fans "very soon." Earlier this week, music producer and frequent Carey collaborator Jermaine Dupri officially joined the singer's management team.
Read the full text of Mariah Carey's letter to fans below:
I'm so happy to be able to catch up with everybody here on Facebook. The last three months of my life have not been easy. Getting through this injury has been the toughest experience of my life. It took me three months to get to this point but thank God I was able to recover and get my arm back. It's a huge deal, it should have taken eight months and even my doctors can't believe it. It's been a long journey, the physical therapists have been incredible and I am very grateful to all of them for helping me.
When people expected me to go "Here I am, I'm back and everything's great!", it didn't happen because my hand was still in tremendous pain and it took this long for it to heal. I've been working day and night, and it took a lot of rest (though I did sneak in to the studio a couple o' times!) but I can finally say that I am on my way to a full recovery.
There's a lot of excitement that I'm going to reveal to you very soon, and sooner than you know it, you're going to understand why but more than that, you're going to feel what I've been feeling for the past- not three months- but three years.
This is, to me, one of the most important albums I've ever made in my life. If you're a lamb, a fan, or just a human being that needs to feel good, happy, sad, miserable, joyous... "I gotcha" (said like Roc- you haven't heard how he says it yet but you will soon, it's a complete+total classic!)
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- 'Family Guy'/'Simpsons' Crossover Episode Sneak Peek Is Pure Bliss
- Sexual Harassment At Comic-Con Leads To Call For New Convention Policy
- A Conversation with CBS This Morning's Anthony Mason, Plus Chase Rice, Gentle Giant's Derek Shulman & William Gage Blanton
- The 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1' Trailer Is Here To Fight
- Weekend Box Office: Scarlett Johannson's 'Lucy' Beats The Rock's 'Hercules'
- All About That Mind-Blowing 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Footage From Comic-Con 2014
- 10 Facts About 'Godzilla 2,' 'Crimson Peak,' 'Skull Island,' and More, Straight From Comic-Con 2014
- Everything Revealed About the 'Goosebumps' Movie at Comic-Con 2014
- Amanda Seyfried's Boyfriend Justin Long Almost Gets Tusks Sewn Into His Head in 'Tusk' Trailer - Watch Now!
- Naomi Watts Is In Talks to Star in Jake Gyllenhaal's 'Demolition'
- Kesha Gets Picked Up By Boyfriend Brad Ashenfelter at LAX Airport
- Sleepy Hollow's Tom Mison & Nicole Beharie Take San Diego Comic-Con by Storm