Mariah Carey to Release New Song on Tuesday (Exclusive Audio)
"Almost Home," from the forthcoming movie "Oz: The Great and Powerful," goes to radio on Feb. 19. An accompanying video, directed by frequent collaborator David LaChapelle, is slated to premiere in the coming weeks.
Just in time for the long weekend, superstar singer, American Idol judge and diva extraordinaire Mariah Carey is letting fans whet their appetite for new music by releasing a snippet of her about-to-be-released single, “Almost Home.”
Featured in the forthcoming Disney feature Oz: The Great and Powerful, starring James Franco and Mila Kunis, directed by Sam Raimi and scheduled for a theatrical release on March 8, the pure pop track was co-written by Carey with Simone Porter, Justin Gray, Lindsey Ray and co-produced by Stargate (Tor Erik Hermansen and Mikkel Eriksen). It goes to radio on Tuesday, Feb. 19 and will be available on iTunes the same day. An accompanying video, directed by Carey's frequent collaborator David LaChapelle, will premiere in the coming weeks.
The vocals for “Almost Home” sit comfortably in Carey’s mid-range, as opposed to leaning more heavily on the breathy falsetto for which the octave-defying performer is also known. Recorded in New York City at Roc The Mic Studios and featuring overlaying harmonies, the song marks a return to form for the multiple Grammy winner, who’s sold more than 200 million albums since her 1990 debut. "It's a feel-good record," said Carey in a statement announcing the tune, whose lyrics pine to "find a kingdom I believe in in my heart." "It gives you the feeling of reaching your home and being with people that you love," she added.
Oz: The Great and Powerful is a sort of prequel to the timeless story of The Wizard of Oz that imagines the origins of L. Frank Baum’s iconic title character.
Carey is currently working on a new album slated for release in the spring.
Listen to a snippet of “Almost Home” below:
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot In Music
- Apple Should Have Read The Lyrics Before Putting This Song In An Ad
- 'Noah' Director Darren Aronofsky And Others Talk Faith And Environmentalism (LIVE VIDEO)
- 'The Quiet Ones' Review: Retro Horror Film Is Weighed Down By A Silly Script
- Wrigley Field's Celebrity Singers Ranked From Most Cringe-Worthy To Least
- Robert Downey Jr. Tweets First Photo From 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Set
- Hot Docs 2014: 'The Internet's Own Boy: The Story of Aaron Swartz' Review
- David Foster Wallace's Family Doesn't Support the Jason Segel-Starring Biopic 'End of the Tour'
- George Lucas 'Is a Consultant' on 'Star Wars: Episode VII,' Says Disney Chief