'Metallica Through the Never' Trailer: Heavy Metal and Riot Police (Video)
The concert film, which has a "parallel universe" side plot, will be released on IMAX 3D on Sept. 27.
There's a whole lot of hard rock -- plus an apparent side story -- in Metallica's new film.
The first trailer for Metallica Through the Never has debuted. The 3D concert movie, directed by Nimrod Antal, was filmed at tour dates in August 2012 in Vancouver.
And the plot, according to the synopsis, revolves around a crew member (Dane DeHaan of Chronicle) who is "sent out on a mission during Metallica's roaring live set in front of a sold-out arena. While on this mission, he unexpectedly has his life turned completely upside down."
There appears to be police in riot gear, a galloping horse and an armed rebellion involved.
In a video interview with The Hollywood Reporter at Cannes, drummer Lars Ulrich described the narrative of the film as occurring in a "parallel universe" to the concert footage. Ulrich explained he wanted the concert portion of the film to show the band from an on-stage perspective.
"The primary thing that we wanted to accomplish with the concert part of it, is that we just never felt that, at least in harder rock, that anybody had ever kind of captured what it's like up on stage," he said.
Hollywood Goes Broadway
What Hollywood Earns
What's Hot In Music
- What's Worth Watching This Week: 'Snowpiercer,' 'Life After Beth,' 'Pee-wee's Playhouse'
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Will Have More Visual Effects Than Any Other Marvel Movie
- Florida Mom Petitions Toys 'R' Us to Remove 'Breaking Bad' Figures From Stores
- 'Sharknado 3' to Ravage the 'Feast Coast' Next Summer
- Julie Bowen & Zach Braff Support HIV/AIDS Reseach at 'A Time for Heroes' Celebration 2014!
- Kaley Cuoco Wraps Up Ryan Sweeting at Elle Women in Hollywood Celebration
- Kerry Washington Brings 'Scandal' to Elle Women in Hollywood Celebration
- Sarah Paulson & Renee Zellweger Hang Out at Elle Women in Hollywood Celebration