Mick Jagger's Obama Is 'Listening In' Joke Draws Big Reaction at D.C. Concert (Video)
The Rolling Stones frontman referenced the NSA surveillance scandal at a show Monday night.
Mick Jagger drew a big reaction from the crowd at a Rolling Stones concert in Washington, D.C., Monday night after cracking, "I don't think President Obama is here tonight, but I'm sure he's listening in."
The rock legend, who turns 70 next month, made the joke in between songs at the Verizon Center, the last destination on the U.S. leg of the band's 50 and Counting tour. According to tweets from the event (via Huffington Post), Jagger's reference to the NSA surveillance scandal -- which has led leaker Edward Snowden to seek refuge (as of now) in Moscow's airport -- prompted concertgoers to audibly react and Kentucky Senator Rand Paul to quote the Rolling Stone frontman on Twitter.
Otherwise, per the Washington Post's concert review, Jagger "remained a freakish miracle, indefatigable of limb and larynx, pumping his fists at the air in front of him as if sentenced to bang on some phantom door for the rest of his earthly existence."
Back in February, Jagger performed a concert tribute to blues music at the White House alongside Buddy Guy, B.B. King, Jeff Beck, Derek Trucks and Keb Mo. While practicing for the event, which was hosted by the Obamas as part of Black History Month, Jagger met the president, tweeting "he seemed really relaxed and happy!"
Health & Hollywood
THR @ TORONTO
What's Hot In Music
- 'Sons of Anarchy's' Kim Coates Says the Final Season Is 'Full Out, Full Throttle, Wiping Everybody Out'
- Krispy Kreme Celebrates 'Ghostbusters' 30th Anniversary With Limited Edition Doughnuts
- Extended 'Revenge' Season 4 Trailer Proves 'What Goes Around Comes Around' (VIDEO)
- Prepare to Swoon Over Benedict Cumberbatch Dressed as Mr. Darcy (PHOTO)
- Benedict Cumberbatch Gives Up His Clothes for Charity - See the Sexy Photo!
- Karlie Kloss to 'Lucky': 'I Have a Lot I Want to Do in the Next 5 Years'
- Lupita Nyong'o Tickles Elmo for New 'Sesame Street' Clip About Loving Your Own Skin
- Mindy Kaling Reveals She Was Up for Maya Rudolph's 'Bridesmaids' Role: 'It Was a Heartbreaker'