Miley Cyrus Debuts Racy New Video, But Is No Fiona Apple (Opinion)
The pop star's just-premiered clip for "We Can't Stop," in which she slinks sexily and makes out with a doll version of herself, notched 3.5 million views in its first 12 hours.
Leaving her Disney character Hannah Montana far in the rearview mirror, Miley Cyrus strips down in her new music video, makes out with a doll version of herself, rubs up against girls and guys and sports a barely there one-piece that would make Borat blush.
If there was any doubt, the clip to “We Can’t Stop,” the first single from Cyrus' upcoming, as-yet-untitled album, seems to purport one main message: that this pop star is no longer a girl and most definitely a woman.
And it seems people are curious -- the video notched 3.5 million views in its first day on the web, including more than 300,000 during the first two hours. While not really threatening Justin Bieber’s 2012 record of 10.6 million for his “Beauty and the Beat” clip, for Cyrus, who hasn't released an album since 2010, it's a potentially positive sign for a successful return.
"We Can't Stop" also serves as a reminder that she's officially escaped her teenage years. Eager to show off her slim, tattoo-adorned body in the video, Cyrus opens the song by cutting a house-arrest monitor off her ankle with giant, pink scissors as a matching pink Beats by Dre speaker blares from the bed. From there, scenes expand to the pool, in which she makes out with said doll, a room of dancing teddy bears and finally a piñata filled with hot dog joints.
It's her nod to party-centric videos like Fiona Apple's "Criminal," in which the singer depicted herself in a sultry, druggy haze while also sharing the screen with teddy bears and barely legal boys, but Cyrus doesn't pull it off quite as well. Instead, she comes off somewhat desperate in her attempt to shove aside her old life for the new. If anything, it’s just another sign of immaturity, albeit in a different light.
At the same time, there's no doubt as to what the new Miley Cyrus is all about: partying, drugs, booze, sex, rock and roll... Doesn’t sound so bad -- but how does it look?
Watch the "We Can't Stop" video below and let us know your thoughts on the racy clip...
What Hollywood Earns
What's Hot In Music
- Bitsie Tulloch Says 'Grimm' Fans 'Will Lose Their Minds Over' What Juliette Goes Through In Season 4
- Check Out Elijah Wood and Peter Jackson in This Commercial for Air New Zealand
- 'Orange Is the New Black' Star Alysia Reiner Loves These 5 Prison Movies
- Mark Wahlberg, Jessica Lange, and John Goodman Get Tough in 'The Gambler' Red Band Trailer
- Meghan Trainor's 'All About That Bass' Can't Be Stopped on the Billboard Hot 100!
- Amanda Seyfried To Take Part in 24 Hour Plays on Broadway with Nina Dobrev, Justin Long, & More!
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt & Rose McGowan Hit Up Hollywood for 'White Bird in a Blizzard' Premiere!
- Daniel Radcliffe Knows He's Fortunate to Do a Job He Adores