Miley Cyrus Going 'Unplugged' on MTV
Ahead of the singer's 38-city tour, Cyrus will show "a more intimate side" during her Jan. 29 special.
Miley Cyrus is going unplugged.
MTV has set a music special, Miley Cyrus: MTV Unplugged, to air Wednesday, Jan. 29 at 9 p.m. EST/PST, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. The cabler also unveiled the news during Monday's Teen Wolf.
The network promises that the unplugged performance will "showcase a more intimate side of Cyrus" and will feature surprise guests for reinventions of Cyrus' songs that defined her career.
The news comes after MTV crowned Cyrus the best artist of 2013 and her headline-making performances at the MTV Video Music Awards and the MTV EMAs. MTV also aired a documentary, Miley: The Movement, chronicling Cyrus' recording process for Bangerz, that aired in October.
“The Unplugged stage has been home to some of the most iconic live performances of all time,” said Amy Doyle, executive vp music and talent programming strategy for MTV. “Miley’s vision for the performance is like nothing we’ve ever seen. I can say that this will easily be one of the most memorable Unplugged performances to date.”
Cyrus' latest album, Bangerz, debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard Top 200 and Digital Album charts in the U.S. and topped the iTunes chart in more than 70 countries. Singles "We Can't Stop" and "Wrecking Ball" topped the charts worldwide. Cyrus will kick off a 38-city tour on Valentine's Day in Vancouver.
On a recent press call, Cyrus hinted that though the tour features a 90-minute set list featuring many of her Bangerz tracks, she said she would preserve the acoustic section of previous tours, which "can go for as long as I want," depending on the city and the audience.
Unplugged debuted in 1989 and has featured performances from artists like Nirvana, Jay Z, Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Tony Bennett, Mariah Carey, Katy Perry, Lil Wayne, Adele and Florence and the Machine.
Jac Benson II, Joanna Bomberg, Doyle and Garrett English are executive producers. Alex Coletti will direct the special. Unplugged was created by Robert Small and Jim Burns.
Get More: MTV Shows
What's Hot In Music
- Best of Late Night TV: Ryan Reynolds Plays 'Egg Russian Roulette,' Cate Blanchett Finally Explains '#SuckIt' (VIDEO)
- James Bond Movies, Ranked From Worst to Best
- 'Sharknado 3' Snags Mark Cuban, Jerry Springer, Bo Derek, and More
- Calling All 'Divergent Series: Insurgent' Fans! Have We Got a Giveaway for You...
- Dakota Johnson Cut 'SNL' Sketch: Anastasia Steele Visits New Red Room in 'Fifty Shades' Sequel
- Taylor Schilling & Jackie Cruz Form Strong Bond Outside of 'Orange is the New Black'
- Natalie Dormer Stars in Hozier's New Music Video for 'Someone New' - Watch Here!
- Shia LaBeouf's Rattail Continues to Have the Web Buzzing