Miley Cyrus Talks Vogue, VMAs: 'I Don't Dress as a Teddy Bear and Twerk on Robin Thicke'
She also says she didn't want to rebel against Disney and downplays Joe Jonas' claim that she introduced him to pot.
Miley Cyrus says that her performance persona, including the girl who twerked on Robin Thicke at the MTV VMAs, is just a character.
"There's a sex scene in pretty much every single movie, and they go, 'Well, that's a character.' Well, that's a character," she tells The New York Times in a new interview. "I don’t really dress as a teddy bear and, like, twerk on Robin Thicke, you know?"
But the pop star does say that she doesn't want to do certain magazine cover stories because of her commitment to being true to herself.
When asked about the rumors that she had a Vogue cover pulled because of her VMA performance, Cyrus says, "I can’t say too much. But it was where I was kind of going to have to do this trade-off, and I wasn’t willing to.
"Right now, me doing any kind of cover for anything that’s like, a Seventeen or Teen Vogue or whatever, the way that I talk isn't the way that people that are 17 [years old] really understand," she adds.
Cyrus goes on to say that she doesn't want it to seem like she's glamorizing drug use or have to censor herself.
"I don’t know how to not talk the way I talk. I would rather have everything I do be 100 percent honest," she says.
Cyrus also explains that while she made headlines for scandalous photos and videos that emerged while she was still working on the Disney Channel, she wasn't purposefully rebelling against the Mouse House.
"Things came out that happened -- like, you know, bong videos -- when I was on Disney. But I never wanted to do that to Disney," she says. "When I was no longer employed by anyone, that's when I was like, 'OK, I'm going to do my own thing.' But I waited until I felt like I had respectfully finished out what I was supposed to do."
She also downplays fellow former Disney star Joe Jonas' recent assertion that she and Demi Lovato introduced him to pot.
"If you want to smoke weed, you're going to smoke weed. There's nothing that two little girls are going to get you to do that you don't want to do," she says. "I thought maybe he was saying that like it was going to make him look badass. … We were so young that it's actually like, 'How did you get peer pressured by me?' "
Hollywood Goes Broadway
What Hollywood Earns
What's Hot In Music
- Gerard Parkes Dead At 90, Award-Winning Actor Best Known For 'Fraggle Rock' And 'Boondock Saints'
- Nicholas Brendon, 'Buffy The Vampire Slayer' Actor, Arrested In Idaho
- 10 Habits Of People Who Are The Life Of The Party
- HuffPost Live's 'Spoiler Alert' Talks 'Homeland,' 'The Good Wife' And More Of Sunday's Best TV
- Best of Late Night TV: Ice Cube Talks N.W.A. Movie, Alan Cumming Recalls Shia's 'Cabaret' Arrest (VIDEO)
- What's Worth Watching This Week: 'Snowpiercer,' 'Life After Beth,' 'Pee-wee's Playhouse'
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Will Have More Visual Effects Than Any Other Marvel Movie
- Florida Mom Petitions Toys 'R' Us to Remove 'Breaking Bad' Figures From Stores
- Oscar Pistorius Sentenced to 5 Years in Prison
- Nikki Reed Flies the Skies After Adopting Kitten with Boyfriend Ian Somerhalder
- Olivier Martinez Supports the Denver Broncos Before Sunday Night Football Game!
- Chloe Bennet Gets All Dolled Up for 'Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D' PaleyFest - Watch The Full Panel Here!