Morrissey Details the Scary Illnesses That Canceled His Tour
The 53-year old former Smiths frontman says that a terrible loss of blood ravaged his immune system.
Irish Blood, English Heart, American Anemia.
When Morrissey cut short his eventful U.S. tour last week, he cited "medical reasons" for the cancelation of 22 anticipated shows. He had been drawing major headlines for his spirited performances, vegetarian demands and spats (see: the Staples Center, Jimmy Kimmel and the Duck Dynasty crew) but also a cadre of maladies, including a bleeding ulcer, Barrett's esophagus and double pneumonia.
In a new interview with a Mexican radio station, the former Smiths frontman elaborated on the extent of his ailments.
"I had internal bleeding and I was rushed into hospital and I had lost a lot of blood," the singer said. "I was on lots of IV drips for almost five weeks, and each time it seemed as though I was back to robust health I would decline ... I had lost so much blood I had become anemic."
Moz added, "It almost became absurd the number of things that happened to me, but everything just attacked me at once," and chalked up his various ailments -- such as double pneumonia -- to his massive loss of blood.
"The immune defenses were very, very low and couldn't cope with anything, so therefore the slightest gust of wind and I would have a terrible cold."
The 53-year old also acknowledged -- but downplayed -- doctors' recommendations that he retire, a bit of an about-face from a promise he made last year.
The Queen has yet to comment.
What's Hot In Music
- The 9 Best 'Sharknado' GIFs Ever
- Best of Late Night TV: Daniel Radcliffe Cuts a Stranger's Hair, Vin Diesel Gives Language Lessons (VIDEO)
- New DVD Blu-ray: 'Noah,' 'The Other Woman,' 'Twin Peaks'
- Billy Bob Thornton Wants To Guest Star on 'Big Bang Theory' and 'Game of Thrones' and We Hope His Dreams Come True
- Amy Poehler & Aubrey Plaza Celebrate with Chris Pratt at 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Screening After Party!
- Drew Barrymore's Half-Sister Jessica Found Dead at 47
- Jimmy Fallon Plays Hilarious 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Prank on The Roots - Watch Now!
- Girls' Allison Williams Lands Peter Pan Role in 'Peter Pan Live' on NBC!