Morrissey Signs With Harvest Records
The outspoken singer will release a new album via the Capitol imprint in 2014.
This article first appeared on Billboard.com.
Two years ago, Morrissey was planning to retire in 2014. But Moz is humming a different tune these days, as he's just announced plans to release a new album this year.
The so-far untitled studio set will come through a new label, Harvest Records, an imprint of Capitol Music Group. His last effort, 2009's Years of Refusal, came via Lost Highway/Universal.
Morrissey will spend studio time with producer Joe Chiccarelli, whose recent album credits include the Strokes' Angles and Young the Giant's 2011 self-titled debut.
He also has plans to tour this year.
The news reflects Morrissey's words in a Q&A with the fan site True To You earlier this month, when he said, "We are about to record our new album," and mentioned a new song titled "Istanbul." He also reported that he's midway through his first novel, which he was inspired to start after the success of last year's autobiography.
The autobiography "has been more successful than any record I have ever released," he said.
The new album could also include three songs he debuted on BBC Radio 2 in 2011: "Action Is My Middle Name," "The Kid's a Looker" and "People Are the Same Everywhere," which was performed at last month's Nobel Peace Prize Concert. Check out the performance here.
HOLLYWOOD'S RED CARPET A-LIST
What's Hot In Music
- 11 TV Drama Mistakes That Even Jack Bauer Couldn't Fix
- Best of Late Night TV: Blake Shelton & Gwen Stefani Lip Sync, Len Goodman Spills 'DWTS' Secrets (VIDEO)
- Michael Kors's Best 'Project Runway' Critiques (VIDEO)
- What's On TV Tonight: 'Red Band Society' and 'The Mysteries of Laura' Series Premieres, 'Franklin & Bash,' and More Picks
- Will Ferrell Reprising Role of Mugatu in 'Zoolander 2'!
- Kristen Bell's Husband Dax Shepard Got a Bell Tattoo on His Ring Finger in Honor of His Wife!
- French Actor Gerard Depardieu Says He Sometimes Drinks 14 Bottles of Wine a Day
- Reese Witherspoon Goes Floral for 'The Good Lie' Premiere in Washington, DC!