Morrissey Says He Was Once Offered Vegetarian Coachella for Smiths Reunion
The artist stated that Coachella organizers "offered a 100 percent vegetarian event" to get The Smiths to reunite for the festival.
Coachella organizers apparently wanted Morrissey and Johnny Marr to reunite as The Smiths enough that they might have eliminated non-vegetarian food products at the event.
That, at least, is what the former frontman of the band indicated in a new interview. Morrissey was asked about his perfomance at Coachella '09 where he told the crowd he smelled "burning flesh."
"[I]nterestingly the agents for Coachella offered a 100 percent vegetarian event for the following year if I would agree to headline with Johnny Marr as the Smiths," said Morrissey this week to Australia's Herald Sun newspaper (via Diffuser).
"Fascinatingly they made it clear that they would 'not require' the Smiths' bass player or drummer ... which I thought certainly said something," he added.
While the festival does sell a variety of concession items -- including vegetarian, gluten-free and vegan options -- there are plenty of traditional non-vegetarian staples sold at stands also.
That atmosphere proved too much for Morrissey, a PETA supporter, at the '09 concert. After saying he could "smell burning flesh" he also reportedly added: "And I hope to God it's human."
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot In Music
- 'Half-Ton Killer: Transformed': Mayra Rosales Lost Nearly 800 Pounds For Her Sister's Kids (VIDEO)
- For Only The Second Time In 'Survivor' History, Their Fate Comes Down To Rocks (VIDEO)
- 'Arrow' Introduces The Flash As Barry Allen Comes To Starling City (VIDEO)
- 'Mob City' Premiere: Jon Bernthal Does Noir Proud In Frank Darabont's Latest (VIDEO)
- Watch a 'Fast & Furious' Video Tribute to Paul Walker
- 'The Wolf of Wall Street' Clip: Leonardo DiCaprio Makes How Much Money?! (EXCLUSIVE)
- 'Pompeii' Trailer: Kit Harington Faces a Power Greater Than the Roman Empire (VIDEO)
- '300: Rise of an Empire' Trailer: Eva Green Is Out to Kill Some Greeks (VIDEO)