Motley Crue's Tommy Lee Writes Open Letter to Fans; Pleads 'No Photos, Please'
Dubbing himself "The Picture Taker Hater," the drummer rants on the band's Facebook page: "Most people never consider the 'situation.' Just take a second and think... 'Is this cool right now?' "
Motley Crue drummer Tommy Lee is nothing if not honest. The veteran rocker took to his band's Facebook page last week to post an open letter to his fans. The purpose: to plead with the Crue diehards not to ask for a picture.
Lee's point, which he makes in 475 words (more than five of the F-ing kind) is that the relationship between rock star and fan is not one of obligation. "It irritates the f--- out of me when people say, 'You owe it to your fans, they put you where you are,'" he writes. "I certainly don't owe anybody anything! When I bought all my Led Zeppelin records and concert tickets I didn’t say, 'One day these f--ers are gonna owe me a picture. It’s the least they can do for me!' ... Wtf people?"
He goes on to list the photo opp moments that most annoy him, like "When you're eating a nice quiet meal with your family [and] some rude jackass comes up and asks for a picture," or this not-all-that-uncommon fan interaction: "You wouldn’t wanna handshake standing at the pisser in the mens bathroom next to me would ya?... Yes, that's happened to me too. ... Most people never consider the 'situation.' That's really important... I understand the excitement and all but just take a second and think... Is this cool right now?' "
The post has prompted over 2,000 comments with fans split on the issue, some respecting Lee's right to privacy, others suggesting that the rant is a sure way to lose those very loyalists. Writes one fan: "Celebrities often forget, that if we ( FANS ) didn't go to those concerts, pay for CD's, watch them on TV and keep them in the limelight....then they wouldn't have all those millions to spend."
Read the unedited post in its entirety below and let us know: where do you stand on the matter?
I fucking LOVE my fans! And you know this!!!... If you asked anyone that knows me really well they would tell ya the same thing...Tommy loves his fans. He lives for this shit...he eats,breaths,shits music 24/7. They’ll also probably tell ya that he’s a down to earth grateful life lovin dude and a nice guy too. What I have a problem with is... Taking pictures! I hate it! Irritates the fuck out of me when people say...you owe it to your fans, they put you where you are, etc etc! I certainly dont owe anybody anything! When I bought all my Led Zeppelin records and concert tickets I didn’t say “one day these fuckers are gonna owe me a picture” It’s the least they can do for me!...wtf people? You dont admire something so that it can give back... You just cherish it! And to those who say..you should be grateful that people wanna take your picture maybe one day they wont want it!.... That day cant come soon enough! BTW..I’m not here to take pictures with you, I’m here to entertain you!
Nobody put me where I am but ME! They may have helped inspire me with their love for what I do...but I put myself right here where I want to be with a lot of hard work, practice, talent, luck, etc. What I do owe myself and others is being THE BEST I can be! And that’s making great music, being a good man, father, lover and human being! We all owe that kinda stuff to ourselves and each other. People do we really need a silly picture?... For what bragging rights? Really?.. Who fucking cares! Someones not gonna believe you if ya dont have the proof pic?...then fuck em! I’d never go up to someone that I admired and bug them for a picture!! Why!.... I might say a quick hello...maybe a handshake?.. I dunno..it depends on the “situation”... Most people never consider the “situation”. Thats really important... Ya wouldn’t wanna handshake standing at the pisser in the mens bathroom next to me would ya?... And Yes thats happened to me too... Or when your eating a nice quite meal with your family some rude jackass comes up and asks for a picture! You cant even imagine what kinda crazy has happened to me. I understand the excitement and all but just take a second and think... Is this cool right now? Its called Consciousness; it’s the quality or state of being aware of an external object or something within oneself. Be Conscious. So like I said.. The fastest way to get me to leave is whip out a camera! Maybe just say hello and I'll probably take ya home with me! Well I’d have to ask my girlfriend first! Hah!
The Picture Taker Hater!
What's Hot In Music
- Before 'Game Of Thrones,' Pedro Pascal Was Getting His Ass Kicked On 'Buffy'
- Drew Barrymore Adds Fragrances To Flower Beauty Collection Making Us All Smell Better
- Guy Covers Every Single Part Of 'Prince Ali' From 'Aladdin'
- The Dumbest But Also Greatest Lyrics From Destiny's Child's 'Writings On The Wall'
- Orange Is the New Black’s Barbara Rosenblat on Playing Miss Rosa and Being ‘the Meryl Streep of Audiobooks’
- Why Are Movies the Only Kind of Entertainment We Still Have to Wait Around For?
- 7 Times Vin Diesel Gave a Wooden Performance (Before He Played a Tree in Guardians of the Galaxy)
- Chris Messina Is a Huge Cheater in This New Sam Smith Video
- Dave Bautista, Drax in 'Guardians of the Galaxy,' on His Makeup and Fave Scene (VIDEO)
- Chris Pratt Facts: 17 Things You (Probably) Don't Know About the 'Guardians' Star
- Best of Late Night TV: Julia Roberts' Face Balls and Chris Pratt's Taxidermy (VIDEO)
- The 'Kingdom' Trailer Takes Mixed Martial Arts to the Next Level (VIDEO)
- Cate Blanchett Desperately Wanted to Play a Dwarf & Wear a Beard
- Katy Perry Sang for the President & First Lady Last Night at the White House!
- Kerry Washington & Jimmy Kimmel Bond Over Their Newborn Baby Girls!
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Opens Huge, Scores Biggest Thursday Evening Opening of the Year!