Nelly Detained in Texas After Weed, Heroin and Loaded Gun Found on Tour Bus
UPDATED: The rapper was nabbed in the same Texas town as Fiona Apple, Snoop Dogg, Willie Nelson and Armie Hammer, but later released.
Beware, all rock stars proceeding through the West Texas border town of Sierra Blanca: The sheriff's on your tail.
Rapper Nelly was the latest celebrity to feel the long arm of the law there, after a drug-sniffing dog mounted his tour bus and found .64 ounces of heroin, 10.4 pounds of marijuana and a loaded .45 caliber pistol.
The "Hot in Herre" singer was detained along with the other six passengers, according to the Associated Press, but all were released after one passenger admitted to ownership of the gun and controlled substances. He was arrested and awaits bond.
Last month, singer Fiona Apple was arrested at the same checkpoint for hashish possession. She later spoke to a Houston crowd about the incident, apologizing to "the guy who runs the jail ... a real decent guy." But she complained about four other officers whose behavior she suggested was "probably illegal."
The Sierra Blanca checkpoint has also landed Willie Nelson, Snoop Dogg and even The Lone Ranger star Armie Hammer in hot water; all of them were busted there for pot (and in Hammer's case, pot cookie) possession.
UPDATE: Nelly has issued a statement about the incident:
“It is my understanding a member of my staff made an unfortunate decision to bring unlawful materials onto our tour bus that resulted in his arrest this morning, October 11th. Neither I nor anyone else on the tour bus was aware of his decision to bring these on board. Law enforcement officials in Sierra Blanca, Texas did not press charges against anyone other than that individual.”
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- Kevin Feige On 'Ant-Man' Backlash: 'I Expected It'
- Yes, Even Rock Stars Like Dum Dum Girls Freak Out When They Meet Their Idols
- Ted Nugent Show Canceled After Native-American Tribe Hears About Rocker's 'Racist And Hate-Filled Remarks'
- Stephen Colbert Asks Nancy Pelosi If She Has Naked Pictures Of John Boehner