Nicki Minaj Makes Surprise 15-Minute Appearance in Times Square (Video)
The rapper performed three songs at Nokia’s launch event for its new Lumia 900 smartphone.
Nicki Minaj punched out her Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded work week with a surprise three-song mélange on Friday (April 7) in Times Square. The event, kept hush till the last minute, was hosted by Nokia in support of the launch of its new Lumia 900 smartphone.
Minaj bounced about in an illuminated rubiks cube type stage, dolled in a 'Baywatch' blonde wig, white long-sleeve button down, black lace bodysuit, tiger-striped leggings, and that signature pink pout of hers.
Through out her 15-minute set, Minaj switched from the rapping fist-pumper to an adlibbing hypewoman -- few singing in between. But it turns out her vocal chords weren't needed much as thousands of wigged out Barbz and middle class tourists belt out all the lyrics to "Starships," "Right By My Side" and Minaj's cross-over blessing, "Super Bass."
While LED magic turned surrounding buildings into lava lamps, many a time Nicki paused front and center, her usually animated face, awestruck. "Why are you guys so epic tonight?" Nicki asked, triggered by humble disbelief.
Before tootling off stage, Minaj opened up the floor to DJ Doorly who premiered an exclusive "Starships" remix, announcing that a music video would be shot live featuring the carpet of fans.
Minaj, who's omnipresence seems to blossom by the week, is expected to see her polarizing sophomore album earn the top spot on the Bilboard 200 chart.
Watch Minaj's performance below:
HOLLYWOOD'S RED CARPET A-LIST
What's Hot In Music
- Live From New York: Darrell Hammond Is the New Voice of 'SNL,' Replacing the Late Don Pardo
- 'Doctor Who' Alum Matt Smith Joins 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies'
- J.J. Abrams Reveals the Millennium Falcon From 'Star Wars: Episode VII' (VIDEO)
- Sorry, Dallas Fans: Matthew McConaughey Isn't in 'Magic Mike XXL'
- Newlyweds Jenny McCarthy & Donnie Wahlberg Make First Public Appearance After Wedding
- Michael B. Jordan & Jesse Williams Step Out for Ultimate Stud Fest at 'Men's Fitness' Game Changers Party 2014
- Erin Heatherton & Jordin Sparks Rep Their Favorite Teams at NFL Fashion Launch!
- Jude Law Dresses to Impress For 'Symphony in Blue: A Journey To the Centre of The Glass'